What's for dinner?

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I have a story about a friend who decided he was going to make spaghetti for everyone one night. Yes he used jarred sauce but I'd have dealt because he was truly trying to learn to cook. So at some point he decided he needed to fancy up Ragu. He added a bunch of ground cloves.

To this day it will come to mind occasionally and I'll message him saying I saw some Ragu and thought of him.

He also had read about people eating sweet meats in a fantasy book. So he tried cooking steak covered in honey. Why yes there was smoke involved.

I did have him cooking basic stuff fine after a while. Taught him a simple soup/stew that you could just toss everything in a crockpot and eat later. He lived off that and the breakfast burritos I taught him to make and freeze for a long while. At least it was healthy and not junk food.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I have a story about a friend who decided he was going to make spaghetti for everyone one night. Yes he used jarred sauce but I'd have dealt because he was truly trying to learn to cook. So at some point he decided he needed to fancy up Ragu. He added a bunch of ground cloves.

To this day it will come to mind occasionally and I'll message him saying I saw some Ragu and thought of him.

He also had read about people eating sweet meats in a fantasy book. So he tried cooking steak covered in honey. Why yes there was smoke involved.

I did have him cooking basic stuff fine after a while. Taught him a simple soup/stew that you could just toss everything in a crockpot and eat later. He lived off that and the breakfast burritos I taught him to make and freeze for a long while. At least it was healthy and not junk food.

one way i learn is by trying and making mistakes. my thing with food is that if i do make a mistake i still hope the result is edible.

kudoes to you for helping to teach him and i'm sure he also has a lot of fond memories. :)

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
He does fine now. This was back in the late 90s. He's usually the one who cooks because his wife isn't good at it.

My Dad cant cook more than to boil water or reheat in the microwave. He didn't want my brothers unable to feed themselves and had Mom teach them to cook.

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
He does fine now. This was back in the late 90s. He's usually the one who cooks because his wife isn't good at it.

My Dad cant cook more than to boil water or reheat in the microwave. He didn't want my brothers unable to feed themselves and had Mom teach them to cook.
Ha! My mom told me she would never hand me off to wife who would have to cook, clean, and do laundry for my incapable butt. I only remember my dad burning burgers on the grill and making rubberized poached eggs. She done good.

Trying to pass that off to the kids

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
plans are to make some grilled ham and cheese sandwiches this afternoon with some homemade cracked wheat bread. i have some sliced up very mild green onions to put on mine and i'm also thinking of slicing up some cherry tomatoes (from the store) because i like them for something different. we took some strawberries out of the freezer to have for dessert, we'll use some shortbread cookies for the shortcakes.