What's for dinner?

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We'll have more tonight. Always better the second day!

Some folks may gasp when I say I don't make a roux for gumbo. It saves all those calories from the oil and the carbs from the flour. Okra and gumbo file' are the thickeners. AND - we don't eat it over rice, lol. But, it's still gumbo and it's one of my most requested dishes from family and friends.

Last edited:

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
We'll have more tonight. Always better the second day!

Some folks may gasp when I say I don't make a roux for gumbo. It saves all those calories from the oil and the carbs from the flour. Okra and gumbo file' are the thickeners. AND - we don't eat it over rice, lol. But, it's still gumbo and it's one of my most requested dishes from family and friends.

it sounds good to me. :) i do like goopy things and roux is one way of getting there, but i can also do without.

years ago Mom used to make something called diet chili, basically it replaced the beans by bean sprouts and added mushrooms. it was pretty darned good and fewer carbs (this was a long time ago before low carb was a thing).

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Pot roast with carrots, potatoes, and onions. Had to do it in the pressure cooker which works fine.

We were supposed to eat this Wednesday, but the element in my oven went out about halfway through cooking.

Ordered element and now just need a day when my back won't protest me crawling in oven like a witch.