Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Burritos, with guacamole, salsa and salad on top
image.jpg

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I love supper planovers for breakfast!

Today I took a big, 12# ham from the freezer. Not truly wanting the heat from cooking it -- BUT I need freezer room, it was meat near top, haven't had ham in a while AND working job all week. So, meals, sandwiches -- will share a couple pounds with DD & a couple with DS. They can make sandwiches all week. Then, there's the obligatory big pot of beans for more meals to share and finally, DSs dog will get the bone.

Several lives for that chunka pig. 😁 PLUS bought on markdown at 89 cent a lb. Win, win! 👍

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I love supper planovers for breakfast!

with a few eggs on top it could have been some version of huevos rancheros... i didn't get as far as putting eggs on it.

i put a quart in the freezer and there's another two pints in the fridge and i had about a pint for breakfast. yummy, we put a lot of tomato chunks in this batch and i'd just cooked up a large pot of beans too so some of those went into the chili along with onions and celery. the green peppers and beans were from the gardens. i wish i'd have felt like picking some fresh beans and steaming them as they make a really good addition to a veggie loaded tex mex chili.

Today I took a big, 12# ham from the freezer. Not truly wanting the heat from cooking it -- BUT I need freezer room, it was meat near top, haven't had ham in a while AND working job all week. So, meals, sandwiches -- will share a couple pounds with DD & a couple with DS. They can make sandwiches all week. Then, there's the obligatory big pot of beans for more meals to share and finally, DSs dog will get the bone.

:) it sounds great to me. :) lucky doggie and everyone else too. :)

i was told we have a ham bone in the freezer too but Mom doesn't want to do too much cooking when it is summer either. what she's started to do with a lot of her recipes is cook the onions and celery and any other veggies in the microwave so that she doesn't have to do much standing over the stove. i do not mind at all how it has been turning out (i'm not that picky of an eater). so really all she has to do is brown the meat and then stirs all the rest in and brings it up to temp and then simmers only for as long as she wants.

the chili i made yesterday took me about 30 minutes total but Mom had already done the onions, meat, etc. so all i was doing was adding beans and spices to bring it up to my level of heat and spices that i wanted. she has zero tolerance for heat or many spices so i have to break her portion out into another bowl for her to eat or if she wants to put some up in the freezer or in the fridge.

Several lives for that chunka pig. 😁 PLUS bought on markdown at 89 cent a lb. Win, win! 👍

score! :) sum peeg!

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Since oven was on, I added a dump cake! Pineapple & blueberry bottom, a little brown sugar. Sprinkles of cinnamon on dry cake mix...add butter. Hope it turns out well. Haven't baked any desserts in a long time. Otherwise I'm compelled to eat it until gone. That waste not thing... :lol:

murphysranch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Did something different for me last nite.

Almost a bat sized zuc. Sliced into 1" rounds. Salted both sides, set in colander for an hour.

Squeeze slightly; top with minced onion/bacon; top with a slice of tomato; then white cheese (whatever is on hand). Season as desired.

Loosely cover with foil; bake for 40 min then remove foil to toast cheese. (used a toaster oven cus it was 104 here yesterday)

YUMMY!!

Had with random pieces of fresh pork chops that were 97 cents per lb at Safeway this past week.