Whats your favorite type of hunting?

Jaxom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Oh man!!! And moose can be one of the most dangerous critters in the woods at times! Ya know, there was a tribe of first nations in the kentucky, tennesse area, that before a brave could hunt white tail, to prove thier skill in the woods would have to touch one before ever killing one! And that's in the days before scent blockers and special oder absorbing hunting cloths.

suburbanhomesteader

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Deer hunting is still #1 for me. I hunt as if I'm bow hunting (ie, I'm not taking 240 yard shots) but I use a Remington .243 and most of the time I take does, and hit them just behind the ear so that I don't waste meat. Once in a while I'll hit them in the eye, if they're standing just right so there's no chance of wounding them.

However, at a different point in my life I was fortunate enough to go hunting in Africa a few times and it was an awe-inspiring experience. I'll never forget following a lame gemsbok through the Namib desert for two days and when we finally found her, my guide thought I was crazy for thinking she was a trophy. However, she was clearly in pain, clearly past her prime, and I was acting as animal predators do; taking the weak and the "sick". We were in an area which was short on vultures and hyenas, so we were only allowed to pack out her backstrap and hind quarters and had to leave the rest. However, we also took the liver, heart, and some intestines. We chopped up the liver, hearts and backstrap and stuffed them with some salt and pepper into the intestines, and had fresh grilled sausage on sticks that night for dinner. What an incredible experience!

ChickenToes

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
My favorite is ruffed grouse. I just like being out in the woods in the fall. The smell of dead rotting leaves and mud is the best.