What's your oldest working appliance, not including spouse?

ChickaD

Country Living
Reaction score
The rules: it has to be something you use regularly, not just a cute antique!
Let's see, our frig and drier (both Kelvinator) and stove (Magic Chef) are each 20 years old.

Woodland Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have a sunbeam mixer that is at least 40 years old. It was my Grandmas' so I love using it. I have had it for 11 years.

hoosier girl

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I have a Kitchenaid mixer that was passed on to me from my aunt. I don't know when they started making them, but she told me that she thought she remembered purchasing it in the late 50's or early 60's. It's the kind that sits on the countertop, has the removeable bowl and uses attatchments for mixing/kneading dough, etc. It's really heavy to move around, but it sure is a workhoarse of a machine. I use it frequently, as did my aunt. Hard to believe something that's been used that much for that many years still works great.

the simple life

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
I have an old 1925 icebox, it was in my grandparent's house and my father gave it to me this year. The paint was all chipped on the outside but the inside is mint.
I use it as a cooler, put in ice packs or bags of ice and store stuff I need to keep cool that isn't going to fit in the frig.
Its amazing how cold it stays and I love using it because it reminds that its how my grandparents and my father lived, the era they lived in was so different.

I also have a 1920 black table fan, with the cloth cord. It works great.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
WOW, folks!!! Love, love, love the title of this thread!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I don't have any old appliances anymore, except maybe this fridge..but its not really mine! :D

Zenbirder

Frugal Vegetarian Farmer
Reaction score
enjoy the ride said:
I have a Hamilton Beach mixer I remember my Mom using in the 1960's.
I have the sister mixer to yours! It was given to my Mom in the 50's as a wedding present. You can just barely see enough of the letters on it to still tell it is a Hamilton Beach.

Does anyone remember the line from The Rocky Horror Picture Show when Frankenfurter says - "always reach for a Hamilton Beach"?

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
My dad has a Westinghouse refridgerator that he and my mom purchased when they got married 1947. He still uses it as his primary fridge. Only the door gasket has been replaced, tho the outside has been painted a few times.

the simple life

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
punkin said:
My dad has a Westinghouse refridgerator that he and my mom purchased when they got married 1947. He still uses it as his primary fridge. Only the door gasket has been replaced, tho the outside has been painted a few times.
That is so funny because my parents have the same one, married around the same time as your parents.
They use it as an extra frig in the basement and my mom is afraid to unplug it because she is afraid it won't start back up again.

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
Dang it- things used to be made to last. Now of the fridge, stove and dishwasher I bought when I built my house 7 years ago, only the stove hasn't needed expensive repairs yet.