What's your oldest working appliance, not including spouse?

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
The waffle iron my mother got in 1940 is still working and makes the best waffles! :woot

The Foley mill Mom bought in 1940 and used constantly. I got it in 1990, when my mother passed away. Unfortunately, I broke it during canning season last autumn and haven't found a good replacement. :(

In 1970 my sisters and I bought Mom a Dominion brand hand mixer - two beaters and 8 speeds - from Federals Dept Store. It died on me this spring ...... :(

I have a Kodak camera that was my grandpap's in the 1930's that still works. I can't seem to get good pics with it, but my brother can. :/

reinbeau

Moderator Extraordinaire
Reaction score
It's not an appliance, but I've got an old cookie press I use every season to make my christmas cookies, it belonged to my great grandmother. Still have the original box and instructions! It was one she bought in her latter years, but I think it's still from the forties. My mother wanted to give me a new swedish cookie press and I said no, this one works just fine.

ams3651

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
my gram got rid of a chest freezer several years ago that still ran but she didnt want to risk it anymore. It was a Maytag I think and she bought it when my dad was born. I think he was around 45 when she got rid of it. She also had a clock she got with green stamps, i cant remember the brand, broke after about 30 years or so.

I have a Kenmore portable dishwasher that I think is from the 80's and a Kenmore sewing machine that I think was manufactured in 1975. I used to work in the repair department and someone brought it in to be serviced and never picked it up and I got it for $25, I also picked up a 1 year old vacuum that way for $30 I had it for 8 years.

Oh I forgot! I have had the same answering machine for about 15 years. I thnk its at&t. My maytag washer and dryer I inherited from my grandmother both are probably around 20 years old, my other grandmother has a set slightly older. my family swears by maytag.

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
Don't know if this counts or not, but the wood burner we use to heat our home with was passed down from my FIL and FIL inherited from his mother. It is from the 1940's.

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
Oh I thought of another- I was thinking of electrical stuff. I have a New Home treadle sewing machine that was my Grandmother's (she was born in 1883,) that has the warranty dated 1905- it still works fine although I only use it for things that are mostly straight lines as the fabric is hard to turn while sewing. I have the instruction book, attachments (one for sewing that braid that was fashionable around then.) The only problem is that I only have two bobbins for it.
You can really get it moving - I really feel the burn.

pioneergirl

Wannabe Pioneer
Reaction score
Keljonma and Quail....can you please post a pic of your appliances? Or even email me a pic? I'm looking to have a summer kitchen from 1940 and am interested in seeing your stuff! *gives you the sad, begging eyes* Please??? lol

My oldest appliance that I am using is my coffee maker....DH's grandma bought it new about 25 years ago and we still use it everyday!

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
I will get a picture of mine for you later today :D

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Of what I bought it is my canopener I have had it for 16yrs(it was free with the microwave). The microwave I gave to my mom as hers just went out & my new house came with one built in.
My mom gave me her old waffle iron she got as a wedding gift in 60 & it still works!!

ChickaD

Country Living
Reaction score
Here are some other gems: a Lady Schick razor my mom gave to me at least 40 yrs ago, and she'd already used it for ages...so it's probably around 50 yrs old and can still "cut it"!

We have an old upright GE freezer we bought used 15 years ago, so there's no telling how old it is, other than by it's looks...:rolleyes:

Our Quasar stereo (includes turntable) is 15 yrs old and still in use (and yes, we still enjoy records...don't get me started...:D).

Although they're not an appliance, I still depend daily on my mom's Revere Ware Copper Clad stainless steel pans & lids. She gave them to me when we married 30 yrs ago; they had been a wedding gift of hers in '41...67 years ago! :)

Homesteadmamma

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
When we bought our house it came with a 25 year old gas range. We are going to replace it in the near future because the top is starting to come apart at the seams!