Where are all the lids???

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Now might be a good time to try them... given that a dozen tattler lids cost about the same as a dozen Ball lids... if you could even find the latter. I have a dozen tattlers to try,

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
What's your opinion on Gold Harvest? I'll not buy WM jars, cause I've had some break. But, I am just fine using WM lids multiple times.

bambi

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Now might be a good time to try them... given that a dozen tattler lids cost about the same as a dozen Ball lids... if you could even find the latter. I have a dozen tattlers to try,
I will see if I can find Tattler lids and try them, be prepared to answer a lot of questions Lol

Rammy

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I have had no problems with Gold Harvest but I am a beginner with canning meats, stews...
Gold Harvest is made by either Ball or Kerr. I don't remember which company it is.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Bambi, I've not yet tried my Tattlers, but I'm sure someone here has. IIRC, the rings must be tightened after they come out of the canner???? Don't quote me here, I haven't read the "how to" in quite some time. Once people get the hang of the fact that they must be handled a bit differently, they seem to like them. Most of the bad reviews seem to be coming from folks who don't understand that they require a bit of a different technique. Based on the fact that I re-use my regular lids, I can't justify spending the cash on Tattlers. But, who knows, once I try them, and as we move forward in these last days, I may wish I'd converted completely to Tattlers.

Re-using canning lids is one of those things. "THEY say" a lot of things that may, or may not be true. If I have a lid that is not marred or stained, I will re-use it. I have many lids that have been re-used 4 times. The "painted area" inside the rubber ring must be without stain, the rubber ring must also not be stained, The center of the lid should not be dimpled, and the edge of the lid where the can opener has pried the lid up must not be dented. If the edge has a ding from the can opener, I will roll it on the counter, like a wagon wheel to restore the "factory edge". My lids are treated with care. When I open a jar, I place a bread tab, or some other such thing under the can opener so the center of the lid does not get dimpled. Then, the lid is inspected, and immediately washed with a soft soapy cloth, and stored for next use. Some people turn their jars upside down after canning. I take great effort to keep the product from contacting the inside of the lid! Whether new or used, a sealed jar is a sealed jar! I also use jars from the grocer for HWB canning, if the lids are in good shape, and the jar is appropriately sized.

Don't ever ask the "canning police" if you can re-use your lids, or if you can use a jar from the grocer. They will tell you that if you attempt such a dangerous thing, you will surely die.
Well, I mean if you can re-use Tattler lids, and mine Tattler lids do stain from tomatoes, I imagine regular lids would be just as safe. Do you notice higher incidences of failure to seal?

farmerjan

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
No jars at TSC here , 2 different stores. Rural King advertised pint jars a couple weeks ago.... heard they still have some.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
since i had some time to surf i checked TSC for lids, all out for the entire region (for both wide mouth and regular).