Where are all the lids???

sharron

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I've been reusing lids for years. I pick through and make sure the lids aren't bent, the rubber part is not compressed real flat... put them in a pan and simmer for a bit.... yeah, keep them hot and sterile for using but I like to have them simmer a bit as it seems to plump up the rubber edge a bit.
I like the tattlers and I still use the old glass bail top jars too. Jar rubbers can be found and they also can be reused to some extent. If one or two don't seal, you get a new lid or jar rubber and redo with the next batch or just chill and eat.
gonna try that next canning season, thanks

farmerjan

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Just a note... I ordered the lids from Uline and they were here in 2 days..... 6 sealed plastic bags... wish we could order more as the shipping is too high for only that many lids.... but super service.... Granted I am only a couple states away... Pa to Va... but still I was impressed.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Wife bought Tattler reusable lids, made in the USA She said: "I'm not buying chinese lids, the price of those china lids are ridiculous and who knows if they will work or not, you know?"
Screenshot_20210405-211540~2.png

henless

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I haven't seen hide nor hair of lids or jars in the last couple of weeks. Just empty shelves and cartons.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Creal, I have a single set of Tattlers, but have not used them yet. Please let me know how well they work. There is a learning curve with them, and they must be handled differently than the metal ones, so I'm told. I use my metal lids multiple times with good results. (Lids must be free of dents, no stains on white paint or rubber ring, and no signs of corrosion in order to be re-used by me. If canning something that is costly, I'd use a new lid, rather than using old. A sealed jar is a sealed jar, no matter how many times the lid has been used.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I actually have enough both reg and WM for this yr but will buy some to have for next. I've been seeing lids & rings, lot of jars, a few just lids. Most have been limited available and in grocery's...Food Lion has had Ball at $2.99 reg and $3.58 wide. Ok Considering no shipping to add. Like gas, ain't going back to old price any time soon. :old an Ace hardware has had some, prices close.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
When I've seen lids it's been 2.25 regular and 2.45 wide mouth. That's pretty normal around here.

They go fast when they get in. I may help that along by posting it to my local craft-barter-farm group when I see them. If I don't need them, I feel I should give a heads up to those I know do.

JanetMarie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I still haven't found any just lids. Bought some lids with rings over the winter. Now those are gone, and the stores probably won't stock again until summer.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Mom says she hasn't seen any boxes of lids (name brand i don't think she looks for the off-brand ones) at all the past few times she's looked. there were cases of jars. at Wallysworld...