Where are all the lids???

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I remember reading an article written by a Russian woman who managed to defect to the US years ago. She mentioned the first time she went shopping at an American grocery store, she nearly had a nervous breakdown in the toilet paper aisle because there were too many choices. In Russia when she was growing up, if you were buying toilet paper, you bought toilet paper--- there was no choice.

I think we are going to see more of what she was used to as time goes on. Perhaps not quite to the point of only one brand (of ANYTHING), but close.

What scares me is that, these shortages are being caused by people being laid off. They are collecting unemployment. What kind of taxes are we going to be seeing if this continues? The money for unemployment has to come from somewhere....

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Exactly, These people who are enjoying the down time, the unemployment rates that exceed their best pay checks seem to think that money grows on trees. Wake up call: Money DOES NOT GROW ON TREES. It comes from the pockets of the working middle class.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
The county my parents live in went back into lockdown. They have most of Oregons produce processors. That is where everyone is getting sick because you can't distance the people on the lines really. During the last lockdown, the stupid governor was complaining that according to the cell phone tracking people weren't staying home. I know people looked at her and went "Duh Moron". Farming community. Farm workers out in the field doing essential jobs. Most of the jobs in that area were labeled essential. Not like the big city workers in Portland.

I think the prison is one of the only places of large people contact not to get sick. My brother (and other relatives) work out there. Every day the workers are temp tested and no visitors have been allowed since March.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I always keep a lot of lids. But my garden has been so good, they are running low. Haven't hit the panic button yet, they do appear on Walmart shelves from time to time. I always go by the canning supply shelves.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
our WM had some cases of quart jars and we grabbed a few just in case we do need them - they were around $9 for the dozen and considering the price of lids and rings i consider that a fair price. they also had some smaller variety and decorative packs but we never get those. as it is we have tons of pint jars.

what we've not been able to find are large mouth lids of any kind.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yeah, WM here is almost bare but, TSC had about 15 doz pints-reg lid, a few of the darker quarts, and no lids or lids/rings. Didn't look in Ace Hdwe, closed. I didn't need any but, curious.

I'm fighting the urge to BUY -- everyone is so out but, I haven't filled jars I have. Plus have 8 dzn ea of WM & rg lids & couple boxes rings/lids each size. I am having to control myself -- everyone is in panic mode. Figure I won't need more until Spring and will order over winter. Chill.

Plus, I have several boxes of bags for my vac sealer units....more than I feel I will use this year.