Where are all the lids???

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
our WM had some cases of quart jars and we grabbed a few just in case we do need them - they were around $9 for the dozen and considering the price of lids and rings i consider that a fair price. they also had some smaller variety and decorative packs but we never get those. as it is we have tons of pint jars.

what we've not been able to find are large mouth lids of any kind.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yeah, WM here is almost bare but, TSC had about 15 doz pints-reg lid, a few of the darker quarts, and no lids or lids/rings. Didn't look in Ace Hdwe, closed. I didn't need any but, curious.

I'm fighting the urge to BUY -- everyone is so out but, I haven't filled jars I have. Plus have 8 dzn ea of WM & rg lids & couple boxes rings/lids each size. I am having to control myself -- everyone is in panic mode. Figure I won't need more until Spring and will order over winter. Chill.

Plus, I have several boxes of bags for my vac sealer units....more than I feel I will use this year.

Rammy

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Those are getting hard to find, also. I grab some when I can find them.

farmerjan

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I ordered vaccuum bags online through e-bay, the precut sized ones, back late last fall. Pints, qts, and gallons. Also got some that were like 2 gallon, but you can cut the rolls to length. I cut big so I can then reuse them after washing and still have enough length to be able to do a new seal. Can't remember the company, will have to look but they were very reasonable and they shipped fast. I have plenty to do me. Got them in like 100 or 300 count, at a time. I do have an extra vaccuum sealer... it is one of the "titanium" food savers. Already had one, and one day about 2 years ago, saw this one on e-bay and bid and got it for about half the price of new. Didn't need it but now am glad that I did. I was going to resell it and never got around to it. So have 2, plus a small little one that was my very first one, that is on the counter for little stuff. It doesn't work as fast as it used to and I expect that I will one day go to use it and it won't "vaccuum" .... No complaints, it is over 25-maybe 30 yrs old.

Don't know about the status at Tattler, and I know that some don't like them, but I get along okay and they are nice to be able to reuse. Yep, I do reuse the other ones too if they look good.... and even reuse like jelly jars & lids from the store. Especially for jelly and pickles.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I cut big so I can then reuse them after washing and still have enough length to be able to do a new seal.

Me, too!! :D I also have some with variable cut length & gusset sides. Those are great for big old hams, etc.
YEP -- two full sized and a small one....my small on is almost new. I got it free and one of the full sized, from doing demos!! So, neither have been used much at all. Were we twins in another life?? :lol:

farmerjan

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Was in Walmart today for the first time since the mandatory mask BS went into effect. Got cat food... I get the 44 lb bag of "outdoor cat food" and the 34 lb bag that is gourmet flavored and mix for the barn cats. Went down and there was next to nothing on the canning jar aisle except for some mason jar drinking lids, some sprouts lids and some cheesecloth. I picked up 2 pkgs of the cheese cloth just for future use. Dollar Gen doesn't have any canning stuff, our Co-Op farm bureau stores don't have anything.... haven't checked all the ace hardware stores. Thank goodness I have alot of stuff and not doing much right now due to the moving situation....Haven't been to Rural King but they had some advertised a couple weeks ago. Haven't been to TSC but I doubt there is any there either. Lowe's didn't have anything, they used to have it this time of year.....

Trick for old boxes of lids..... soak them in hot steaming water separated out.... to help "plump" up the rubber part of the lid. Often will help on old lids or on reusing lids.