Which Resource To WASTE: Water or Electricity

valmom

Crafter
Reaction score
Well, right now we have been fighting with our well for 2 weeks (during the wettest summer on record). We have water in the morning for showers and even a load of laundry if we shut the well pump off, but it runs out by 11:00 or so no matter how much we use or don't use. The well guy is useless. He won't even answer our calls lately :idunno

So, I would vote for putting the hot water in the fridge.

Nifty

Super Self-Sufficient
Administrator
Reaction score
Okay, since most are wondering....

We live in a house where the plumber ran the water line to our kitchen through the very top of the A frame in the attic. During a hot summer day it can be 95 deg. outside, but our water in the "COLD" line can be up to 150 degrees.

We usually just wait until the evening or early morning to fill the water, so waste either way isn't an issue. That said, I do like to just toss around problems and issues for discussion to get the brain workin'.

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
You might want to run an alternate route for the cold water. Leave it through the attic in the winter, but through the alternate (and cooler) route during the summer.

Personally, all water lines may eventually leak, so I'd consider a safer (lower) route as a long term solution. A leak at the attic peak would do maximum damage.

Puck-Puck

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Free hot water? Do the dishes! (That'll go over like a lead balloon, I'm sure.) :D My personal tipple is a nice hot cup of tea, even on a hot day. It makes everything else seem cool by comparison. So, less electricity to use heating the water to boiling. And I've noticed that my plants respond better to warm water than cold--all of them, but probably tomatoes, beans, squash especially--"warm climate" stuff--most appreciates being watered with warm water.