Who can come up with the wildest SS story?

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Totally freak accident....yuck!. I once, somehow boiled a mostly incubated egg and screamed when I began peeling it because I exposed a claw and leg. Think of that often when I am peeling eggs now. I was pretty young and know much better how to manage poultry. I guess my problem then was I was afraid to grab a hen and throw her off the nest, so I had to wait until she got off to eat and sometimes it was days. I'd pick the unmarked eggs, but they had been under a broodie. Can't play that game if you wanna be serious. Live and learn.
I used to have a daily Easter Egg Hunt and still didn't find all the eggs. Sometimes I'd hit the jackpot and find a huge nest. Thats how I had eggs to eat because those eggs couldn't be sold.....had to float them and crack in a cup, one at a time to use myself. Ahhh....memories.

k15n1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
My buddy's father decided that skinning a deer is too hard and decided to pull it off with a tractor. I've heard "there's more than 1 way to skin a cat" many times but apparently this isn't true for deer if you're using a 35 HP tractor and pole-barn rafters. Instead of sticking to the usual method, they fastened the hide to a rope and put that on the drawbar of a smallish tractor. I don't know how they fastened it but I do know that the rafter was bending enough to cause everyone else to head for the door!

The same guy decided to crush apples using the weight of the pole barn. They put the apples in a bin on the floor, put a sheet of plywood on top, followed by a bottle jack and post. As in the previous example, the rafter was on the losing end of the deal.

Not sure what was wrong with him. Had a PhD or something in statistics and raised beef cattle for years. So he must have had some sense. But apparently not when it came to pole barns.

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Sounds like my father, to an extent. We once decided to crack our corn, using a chipper/shreaded. That was really a loud, dusty, starchy, experience.

Latest posts