WHO has converted to CFLs??

unclejoe

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Over the last year or so, we've changed over all the lights except the ones in the ceiling fans. They won't fit unless we remove the globe. We haven't really noticed much change in the electric bill, but that could be because it was a gradual change. As the incandescents burned out, we replaced them with CFL's. I even put one in my trouble light which I dropped about 2 weeks later and broke it. :rolleyes: I won't be using them in the trouble light anymore.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
We've been changing over as the old bulbs burn out. Like reinbeau, I credit this and the new energy-star fridge with lower electric usage than ever. We also ditched the old dehumidifier and got an energy-star one. The old one cost $40/month to run!!!

poppycat

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We've changed some. I must say I'm a little concerned about the mercury.. I suppose it could be overblown, but I'd hate to learn the hard way. And then there's the disposal issue...

I've used them in fixtures where they are unlikely to be broken, and where we can so an anal retentive clean-up if need be. I'm trying to conserve on a number of fronts, like turning the thermostat WAY DOWN at night (into the 50's) I figure we're all covered up anyway and it seems that we sleep better when it's cool.

We had to replace an ancient fridge, got the Energy Star.

I'm being REALLY MEAN to my kids when they leave lights on and walk out of the room.

Cassandra

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Didn't we have a home depot employee here who said that any home depot will take your CFLs for recycling?

Cassandra

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I have a friend who took a class on Home Energy Audits. She is now certified and gets paid 50 bucks a pop to walk through houses and do the audit. SDGE our local electricty co pays her. The kicker is because I had the audit SDGE gave me as many CFL's as I needed for free. I guess they run about 5-6 bucks each and I received 75. Changed out every bulb in my house a couple weeks ago. I cant wait to see the bill. It is supposed to decrease by 20%. The only lights not available yet are dimming bulbs, I guess they have not figured that one out with the gas and all. it does kinda bug me how they start of very dim and get brighter. Sometimes I dont like to wait. I have not noticed any color change. I guess its a wait and see. Illlet you know how the bill goes. g

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
wow alot of bulbs for free...that is wonderful! good deal!

yes the dim to bright gets me too. In the dark morning in the bathroom starts out so light, then the bright hits in and it is fine. I hear ya! A little annoying but worth the savings! :)

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
WOW I mean WOW I can't imagine having an electric bill anywhere near as high as what some of you say yours run :th

Ours is never more than $50, and I haven't yet converted to CFLs.

We don't use our lights during the day, except the bathroom light, and we don't have the tv on much. And then at night, well, we only use one lamp in the livingroom. Kids go to bed as soon as it is dark. :idunno

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
your not running a well or hot water heater right Quail. Those are biggies, well at least the water heater! :(

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
No, I am not running either of those LOL I didn't think of that! Good point! We heat the water on the stove, or in the sun during the summer months!