WHO has converted to CFLs??

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
well if you end up with those, welcome to a higher bill..HA HA HA

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Karen when we were getting ready to move into the new house we bought a bunch of CFL's & all but 4 lights have them in them. Don just has not gotten around to changing them, but we have them. We even bought them as we bought all the ceiling fans too. So all the fans have them too. I really can't see that they saved us any on our elec bill since the house is so much bigger than the old one. But I know they have. Now to just get Richard to turn off the lights!!:ep

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
yea HM I just walked around the house turning off lights and tvs behind everyone also. UGH

Tony comes in to each lunch, leaves the tv and bathroom light on and out he goes. Come on ya know! I try, he doesn't try. :barnie

Colored Egg Farmer

Way Too Many Chickens
Reaction score
In one of our buildings there are over 10 year old CFL bulbs they haven't been used in quite a while but I put a few in and they worked. They are a bit dimmer than 40 watts but they serve there purpose. Ive replaced the regular 40 watt bulbs 2-3 times already and the haven't even touched the CFL yet. Not bad for being old.

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I replaced 95% of the bulbs (some fixtures can't use with) I got the bright light ones from Lowes. They were having a sale and I got packages of 3 for 3.00 not bad for the CFL. I have had some of my CFL for 7 years (dimmer than modern ones) and they still work great, I figure they have paid for themselves already. The worst brand of CFL's I have tried were from Walmart, they had a horrible yellow hue to them. In our new house I have noticed a decrease of about 15.00-20.00 a month from the final switch over to CFL. There are plenty of recycling stations for them where I live, but I have not had one go out yet.... Also I forgot to mention, we use them even in our floodlights outdoors and they are SLOW to warm up in the cold, just thought I would mention that so you will not be too upset when you pay 12.50 for 2 outdoor CFL's and they are dim to start up but once warm they are just as bright. The outdoor ones I use save a ton of energy instead of 150 watts they are 23 watts each.

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
Cassandra said:
Didn't we have a home depot employee here who said that any home depot will take your CFLs for recycling?
I did some looking into this today, since my main objection to CFL's is diposal.

From Home Depot:

At each The Home Depot store, customers can simply bring in any expired, unbroken CFL bulbs, and give them to the store associate behind the returns desk. The bulbs will then be managed responsibly by an environmental management company who will coordinate CFL packaging, transportation and recycling to maximize safety and ensure environmental compliance.

The nearest Home Depot is over 50 miles away, but as long as I know that the CFL's won't end up in a landfill, I can save them until I am going to be near one of their stores.

I'm sure though, that most people in this area would end up just adding them to their regular household trash. I'm no tree hugger, but it does worry me when I think of all of the chemicals and heavy metals that we area putting into landfills. Although I have to admit, I'm have no idea what could be realistically done about it.

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
yea HM I just walked around the house turning off lights and tvs behind everyone also. UGH

Tony comes in to each lunch, leaves the tv and bathroom light on and out he goes. Come on ya know! I try, he doesn't try. :barnie
My pet peeve with Don is the shop. He leaves & the tv & all the lights are still on, fans a/c, everything. One day he came home from work turned on the a/c & fans, then left to go to his dads. I went out to the fridge out there for eggs(I was out in the house) & found it all on about 1 1/2 hrs later. WEll I turned it all off. He came home about 2 hrs later! I chewed his butt out!!!!

:he

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I chewed his butt out!!!!

*****LOL--and you have every right HM......HA HA---if we all wanted to save power and money, whew, we all have to do it.....but then there is stupid me when I put on the AC and had windows open..HA HA....NO ONE yelled at me but myself.!!

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
I think we are all guilty of that at some point & time. I know we have done it here too.

Latest posts