WHO has converted to CFLs??

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
dacjohns said:
They do make CFLs for use with dimmer switches.
Really? Thats great I will need to track some down. I have my kids ceiling lights in their bedroom on dimmers. You know so they don't get blinded if its necessary to turn on in middle of the night.
Thanks, gina

SproutGirl

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I really want to use these bulbs, but I just can't get over the awful light that they let off. It makes me feel like I am in a warehouse or at the office--makes it hard to read. There's just something terrible about all of the bulbs I've tried and the ones I've seen in others' homes. I feel guilty using old fashioned incandescent bulbs, but I really like their lighting. Does anyone have any recommendations on good looking CFL bulbs? Thanks!

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
My CFL are no bigger than a regular light bulb and they had 3 different light ranges to pick from ( I picked the ones with no yellow hue). I really like them after I got used to the fact they need a few moments to warm up. DO NOT get Walmart brand if you are picky, I replaced all of them they cast a weird light.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I know what you mean.
I had to get used to the light, but I made sure I bought "bright white" CFLs. They are fine, but like I said, I had to get used to the "color" difference and am fine with it now. I had them in for 3 weeks, got my power bill, and it was down $22 (or $28, heck I can't remember)---LOL--so for the monthly savings I can deal with it.

I bought Bright Effects Energy Star Savers from Lowes.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
We have converted to almost all CFs. We noticed a substantial drop in the electric. Then we put the TV, DVD etc.. on a power strip. That helped too.

Our local Big Lots - a discount lot store. Had CFs of many different types for sale (I am sure a store somewhere went under). We had an opportunity to try out lots of different light colors. Some I like - they went in the main lights. Some colors of light are obnoxious (to me anyway) they went to seldom used areas of the house like the basement.

One of the best things about the CF's is longevity. I was replacing old fashioned bulbs all of the time.

LED lights use even less energy.

One time when my bathroom light was out of commission for a time (sometimes I rewire this old house kinda slow). GEEK son did not like pottying in the dark so he fixed me a bathroom light. A 9V battery, a blue LED bulb and a resistor. Amazing how much light it made and how long the 9V lasted - over two weeks - of occasional (when we had to go at night) use.

I really need to get that new Energy Star fridge, but I keep having to buy other stuff and a new fridge just aint't cheap!

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We changed out all ours ages ago, the only lights that are incandescent are the bulbs in the dining room light, and they're only 40 watt, and the 100 watt bulb in the chicken house to give them extra light, and a bit of heat to keep the water from freezing. I put off converting to LED chrimbo lights for ages, I hated how they had a blue glow, we'd bought some for our tree and ended up giving them away we hated them so much. Then, this year I saw SOFT WHITE LED's, and bought a bunch, they look great! we also bought a package of the Solar soft white LED chrimbo lights for the coop, and they work great too.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
lupinfarm

you changed the bulbs from CFLs in the house to LED bulbs?

did that drop your elec. bill even more?
just wondering.

I need to check into the LED lights that are available out there. Haven't done that yet.

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
lupinfarm

you changed the bulbs from CFLs in the house to LED bulbs?

did that drop your elec. bill even more?
just wondering.

I need to check into the LED lights that are available out there. Haven't done that yet.
Oh no! We changed from Incandescent to CFLs, but we changed our Chrimbo lights from traditional ones, to LED ones in soft white, big difference, and they're not harsh and blue like the older LED christmas lights were. I'm dying to get some LED lights, but they have to throw a nice soft white glow or i'll go insane.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
oh I got ya.
I misunderstood.
My Xmas lights are good still, I am on the fence about getting the LED lights. To spend now or not to spend..LOL
But I will get the soft white LED lights that you mentioned, now that I know from your experience!!
thanks for the good info, I know what to look for now, soft white, when shopping.

If after the holiday, I hit a store and they are like 60-70% off I will stock up on soft white LEDs. Always looking for that deal!!!

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
Well I am happy to report that we just bought our first pack of CFL's! Dh and I are hoping that if we gradually convert all the lights over, we will save on our electric bill. :D