WHO has converted to CFLs??

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
big brown horse said:
You cant use them in a high lights on and off area. I blew out our porch lights so fast when I wanted to check on a chicken I kept out there once. Every noise I heard (I lived in the city at the time) I had to turn on the light. I would burn out in weeks. Then I read they are not good for a quick turn on and off...so I switched back to the usual light bulb for that job.
Were those bulbs literally outside in the weather? Right now they are not great for "outside" fixtures.

My kids bathroom is high traffic, light on and off real fast for a quick trip or wash hands fast, etc. and they are fine.

So outdoor lights is way diff. then inside fast on and off.
Oh. Well, they were under the porch roof. Thanks for that bit of info! :)

FarmerChick, I love the Christmas light story! :D

angelib1

Power Conserver
Reaction score
We have all cfls, led and kerosine lamps. My cfls turn on quickly. the only ones I have replaced in 2 yrs were broken by kids and cats. also never noticed and orange glow could it be because I have russet colored walls and an orangish cream ceiling.:lol:

gettinaclue

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I love CFL's. I've only had to replace a few in the last year, whereas in comparison, with the regular bulbs, I would walk the house what seemed like every weekend to change out the burnt out bulbs. I've noticed a change in the power bill, but I would attribute that to the over all changes we've made in our usage rather than just the bulbs. For me, just the convenience of not having to change out the bulbs all the time is worth the extra cost of the bulbs.

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
Is there any research on how the body reacts to the CFL's ? This place has them. I have a harder time sleeping. Wondering if it's connected.

ga_goat

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
We use them here inside , they won't work on a dusk till dawn switch in the outside fixtures , and the idiots in washington have outlawed regular bulbs after 2014 or so ,, so then what will we use to keep the pump and chicks warm in winter , I'm tired of this NANNY syndrome that has taken over govt .

TigerLilly

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
This is one area I have a hard time converting--any type of flourescent lighting triggers my migraines (I have other triggers, but this is the biggest). I tried it for a little while and realized I was having migraines every day if I was in the house with the lights on. I do still use them in 'low traffic' areas--porch lighting, laundry room, closets.
To make up for it, I am very grateful for my 2 skylights--one in the kitchen & one in the master bath. I rarely have lights on at all during the day, preferring to open the curtains & let natural light in.

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
eaganchickens said:
I found these candelabra CFL's today http://www.homedepot.com/Electrical...splay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

There fatter then incandescent bulbs but still work well.

I have converted all the light bulbs to CFL's except for 1 chandelier which I plan to convert.
We have some almost like that but for regular type of socket. They are rated for -20 below zero so we have them outside ligting the stairs. They are 3 watt bulbs and the seem so much brighter. I had never seen a 3 watt bulb before and I was pretty skeptical that they would be worth anything for lighting and I saved the packaging and receops thinking I'd be taking them right back but they are great for our use. When I'm at my neighbors house 1/4 mile away they still look pretty bright.... got them at home depot or lowe's

LED bulbs are coming down in price and showing up in the stores now. That may be better for you TigerLily.

CJW

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I know this is an old thread, but when I have time, I search through the oldies!

Our house is all CFL, but we still have a few incandescents left--The coop and the dugout where our water pump is (we have a cistern), and the garage, but we don't go in there right now, since its too packed full since the move!

I like the savings of them, but I know they are not good to be plugging into the sockets. I will eventually go to LEDs, since they are even better with usage, they last longer, and they are healthier to be around, but right now it is a money thing.

I noticed some people's replies about how they get worse (migraines, etc) when they are in places with CFLs--that is because CFLs create dirty electricity. Dirty Electricity has been link to all sorts of health problems, but there are filters you can install to reduce it.

If you are having issues with CFLs and your health, it might be better in the long run to switch to something else (incandescent or LED) or get a filter.

We haven't noticed too much of a difference health-wise, but we have had them for about 5 years now, and we are pretty good about turning them off when we are not using them.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
CJW said:
I noticed some people's replies about how they get worse (migraines, etc) when they are in places with CFLs--that is because CFLs create dirty electricity. Dirty Electricity has been link to all sorts of health problems, but there are filters you can install to reduce it.

If you are having issues with CFLs and your health, it might be better in the long run to switch to something else (incandescent or LED) or get a filter.

We haven't noticed too much of a difference health-wise, but we have had them for about 5 years now, and we are pretty good about turning them off when we are not using them.
Can you explain this a bit more? Sounds interesting.

g

Latest posts