WHO has converted to CFLs??

CJW

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I was watching a tv program, and they had a blurp on it. Basically, the waves of energy from electricity are normally smooth. With dirty electricity, it makes the wave look hairy-making an odd magnetic field- It will pass through all the wiring in the house, and even back into the grid. The segment said that it can cause migraines, blurred vision, trouble sleeping and even higher diabetic reactions. I can't remember all of what they said regarding health issues.

It's odd. I haven't done a ton of searching on it, but it is something I will not forget and will look into later. I suppose I could google "dirty electricity", but I will go off in a tangent and not get all my stuff done for the evening....and I am in the process of researching Whole Food vs. Synthetic Vitamins...AHHHHHHH my brain is on overload!

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Hummm very interesting. I converted my whole house to CFL's about a year or so ago.

I wonder if we have any side effects. :hide

AnnaRaven

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We have a combination of CFLs and LED lights. I LOVE the new LED bulbs. I'm working on converting over from CFL to LED.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
AnnaRaven said:
We have a combination of CFLs and LED lights. I LOVE the new LED bulbs. I'm working on converting over from CFL to LED.
Anna, first off, :welcome. Secondly, where do you buy the LED lights? I've never seen them for sale. How much are they? I have some LED in flashlights etc, but have never seen bulbs for regular lights for sale.

Jen-pi

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I think I almost burned down my house using CFL's. Didnt realize you wernt supposed to use them with a dimmer switch.

JRmom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We converted to CFLs for most of our lighting - not impressed. The globes won't fit over the new bulbs, and a few burned out in only a few months. And no noticeable difference in the electric bill.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
wow cause when I changed all lights to CFL my bill went down about $25-30 I sure noticed alot of savings

but I want LED lights....am going to hit the stores and see what is available in LED cause the "time" for the CFLs to fully light up is driving Tony insane in our master bath. he gets up at 5 for work and says they stay dim too long for him lol....oh wow, ya know, ya have to wait 2 mins for full bright....no big deal for me but for him it makes him nuts. I am hoping the LEDs that are available will be bright right off the start.

will see what is on the marke probably this weekend or next. gotta do some research

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
We did. With mixed results. Spendy bulbs that do not last as long as they are supposed to.
On top of that, every single bulb contains recycled mercury that when burnt out is sent straight to the dump.
Or if broken, spread the mercury in the home.

We plan to get a few of the LEDs for our kitchen and see how they pan out.
I'm not holding my breath though :rolleyes:

If you go to places like Home Depot the prices on LEDs has come way down.
DH stocked up on several strands of the white Christmas bulbs at 75% off, so we can hang them in the barn and coop.
They are not as bright as they should be, but its a cheap enough experiment to run several strands.

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
Javamama said:
I do not like CFLs! None of them last for as long as promised and I have quite a few fixtures where I need a bright light and the bulbs are so honkin big that they don't fit. And the one over the sink flashes like a strobe light and makes me dizzy. I had one that blew in less than 30 days - it replaced a regular bulb that lasted 5 years! I don't know what they do for the electric bill. We replaced all our windows and that had a huge impact, but then the electric company went and raised the rates anyway. Seems like we are fighting a losing battle. :rolleyes:
I feel you on the rates. Literally every time we make strides in saving electricity, the rates jack up.

Latest posts