WHO has converted to CFLs??

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Everylight we USE is CFL. We just moved here in October and havn't converted EVERY single light bulb yet, just the ones we use. Our electricity bill was $81.46 this month, the lowest it has ever been for us in the summer. We are from TX so summer bills would kill ya!

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I hear you there. This month I had my lowest bill ever. I think hanging the laundry on the line has a lot to do with it. We have about 98% cfl's. I had my AC on today and yesterday. I can just see the money going out the door.

Love chooks I was on a program last year where I had an energy audit done on my home. They gave me a free CFL (compact fluorescent light) for every bulb in my home. I jumped on that while I had the chance. They have stopped doing it now, such a shame.

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I do not like CFLs! None of them last for as long as promised and I have quite a few fixtures where I need a bright light and the bulbs are so honkin big that they don't fit. And the one over the sink flashes like a strobe light and makes me dizzy. I had one that blew in less than 30 days - it replaced a regular bulb that lasted 5 years! I don't know what they do for the electric bill. We replaced all our windows and that had a huge impact, but then the electric company went and raised the rates anyway. Seems like we are fighting a losing battle. :rolleyes:

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Javamama.... Maybe you should try a different bulb. I think the technology is evolving so quickly they are getting much better. The ones I have do not sputter at all. They come on soft and as the gas inside gets hot they get brighter. kinda a pain in the closet to wait but works great eventually. I have cfl's that fit in can lights as well as regular shaped bulbs with the cfl inside. I have had a couple burn out rather quickly but 1 or 2 out of 75 was not to bad.

I am now on a search for dimming lights, and some to fit in my dining room chandelier.

Good luck.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Javamama said:
I do not like CFLs! None of them last for as long as promised and I have quite a few fixtures where I need a bright light and the bulbs are so honkin big that they don't fit. And the one over the sink flashes like a strobe light and makes me dizzy. I had one that blew in less than 30 days - it replaced a regular bulb that lasted 5 years! I don't know what they do for the electric bill. We replaced all our windows and that had a huge impact, but then the electric company went and raised the rates anyway. Seems like we are fighting a losing battle. :rolleyes:
Check out the new ones now. They are tons better than older CFLs when they first came out.

What do they do for you? They lower your elect. bill ALOT! I have a 1700 sq ft house I was lighting, changed all bulbs to CFL except one cause it wouldn't fit the fan light, and saved $28 in 3 weeks on the bill doing nothing else. Good deal for me.

And they don't heat up a room. You know incandescants are hot...in my bathroom the sink area would get very warm, just from the row of lights. Using CFL globes, no heat. I sure like that!!

Even if they raise rates believe me when I say you can stills save money. Just not using the dryer saves me like $30 a month.

All seems little, but, if you don't use tons of energy and save some, then at least ONE less nuclear plant, or coal plant, etc. has to be built to handle our consumption.

AND the money I save buys me a 4 day camping trip. I would rather camp with that money saved thru the year than give it to them..HA HA

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
You cant use them in a high lights on and off area. I blew out our porch lights so fast when I wanted to check on a chicken I kept out there once. Every noise I heard (I lived in the city at the time) I had to turn on the light. I would burn out in weeks. Then I read they are not good for a quick turn on and off...so I switched back to the usual light bulb for that job.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
big brown horse said:
You cant use them in a high lights on and off area. I blew out our porch lights so fast when I wanted to check on a chicken I kept out there once. Every noise I heard (I lived in the city at the time) I had to turn on the light. I would burn out in weeks. Then I read they are not good for a quick turn on and off...so I switched back to the usual light bulb for that job.
Were those bulbs literally outside in the weather? Right now they are not great for "outside" fixtures.

My kids bathroom is high traffic, light on and off real fast for a quick trip or wash hands fast, etc. and they are fine.

So outdoor lights is way diff. then inside fast on and off.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
When I received my free light order it included two outdoor flood lamp bulbs. We have ours in one of those motion sensor lamps near the garage. No problems there.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Don't laugh, but my front porch light is a GREEN light bulb. Never changed.

I flip it on ONLY at Christmas...HA HA.....been there for like 15 years now..HA HA

Each year it is SOOOOooo pretty in Dec.....:lol:

Carolyn

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Both my daughters get major, major crippling migranes when they go into a room with them--