who has rain barrels?

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
regarding goldfish in the barrels, my friend Barb runs a dairy farm....they have giant automatic waterers for the cows, yup, she uses goldfish cause the cows drop feed into the waterer and it grows alot of green....so the goldfish work well.

Unless the water system gets low and alot of cows drink in a row real fast, then they "suck up" the goldfish....LOL...bye bye goldfish.

She has bought MANY a goldfish for those waterers..LOL

just made me think of this funny situation, but not funny for the inhaled goldfish I am sure. :)

krjwaj

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
If our gutters weren't the kind the go right into the ground, we would have rain barrels. They sell for about $40-$50 in this area.

hoosier

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We just won a rain barrel from the solid waste management booth at our county fair! :)
It is a converted olive barrel. We are so glad we won because when we priced them on the maker's website, they were $170! No way we could afford that.

ticks

Hunting Crazy
Reaction score
hoosier said:
We just won a rain barrel from the solid waste management booth at our county fair! :)
It is a converted olive barrel. We are so glad we won because when we priced them on the maker's website, they were $170! No way we could afford that.
I didn't know there was specific rain barrels, I just thought it was a big drum type thing.

mirime

Power Conserver
Reaction score
ticks said:
hoosier said:
I didn't know there was specific rain barrels, I just thought it was a big drum type thing.
yep, you can by pre-made rain barrels, or make your own with found storage/food drums. We found ours.

Hiedi

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
My uncle puts goldfish in his rainbarrels. He says it works.
This may sound crazy; but I am just wondering, if goldfish will live in rain barrels, then will other (edible) larger fish live in there as well? Hmmm...

I have been hearing a lot about the illegal rain water issue. We are in a drought so I do not know if it is illegal in my state to collect rain water or not, but I am not going to ask to find out. I think it is best for me just to play dumb.
:idunno

the simple life

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
I think you could probably find out anonymously if you are allowed collect rainwater.
In my state its encouraged and my town and alot of surrounding towns are subsidizing the cost of rain barrels, they order them for you and you pick them up at the public works department at a discount.

Hiedi

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
the simple life said:
I think you could probably find out anonymously if you are allowed collect rainwater.
In my state its encouraged and my town and alot of surrounding towns are subsidizing the cost of rain barrels, they order them for you and you pick them up at the public works department at a discount.
Wow, that is too cool!

Latest posts