Who here cans??

ParsonsWife

Power Conserver
Reaction score
:woot Hello,
I can, freeze, and eat.... :love
lots of veggies and fruits...
tomatoes, salsa, plums, apples, peaches, pears, green beans, peas (purple hull and blackeye)
pickles, okra, corn, squash, zucchini, ...you name it...and I like it...

peapatch

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
A good place to also check on steam canners is beprepared.com and sharskitchen.com
steam canner is the way to go, fast. This year I tried canning apple pie filling for the first time it was delicious, have to hide it from the family. :ya

COgirl

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Kozzi Acres said:
I can. So far I've put up strawberry, blackberry and blueberry jams, Green beans, potatoes, chicken noodle and veg beef soup, bean-n-bacon soup (my hubby loves this, I came across the canning recipe and gave it a try, turned out really good, VERY close to store bought kind) and this morning I put up 28 pints of salsa.. Tomatoes are rolling in now, next will be tomato juice, stew tomatoes, pizza sauce, spag sauce and so on.

Gardening and canning both are a lot of work, but I can say I love the feeling I have putting up the harvest we have be blessed with.. :)
Bean-n-Bacon Soup?!! Could I please get the recipe. That is my favorite soup. I started canning again this year but so far I've only put up dill and sweet pickles, peach, strawberry, strawberry rhubarb jam and orange marmalade and some jalepeno jelly. I would love to put up some soup. Thankyou :)

pioneergirl

Wannabe Pioneer
Reaction score
Today I'm canning potatoes, fresh from the garden. They take 40 min to process in the steam/pressure cooker, and with all I have, they will take all day! lol....as I type, the pressure is going back down to zero so I can take 7 quarts out...then I'll put another 7 in and hopefully be done!! :)

Frozen Feathers

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Okay, made blueberry Jam and it came out great.

The recipe:
5 C blueberries
1 pkg pectin
2 tbsp lemon juice
3 1/2 C sugar
1/4 C water

Sterilize jars/lids. Wash & sort blueberries. Crush or run through food processor. Mix pectin, water, lemon juice & blueberries together. Bring to boil. Stir in sugar. Boil one minute. Add to jars immediately, leaving 1/4inch head space. Process in water bath canner for 10 minutes.

This came out really nice and not runny at all for me.

jkm

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
TO THE PEOPLE THAT WANT TO USE A REGULAR CANNER FOR A PRESSURE CANNER......
DON'T DO IT!!!
A PRESSURE CANNER IS VERY DIFFERENT FROM WATER BATH CANNER,,,,,

READ DIRECTIONS ON A PRESSURE CANNER,,,, STEAM IS DANGEROUS IF NOT VENTED CORRECTLY...
I think you can explode your jars!!
remember steam engines used to explode...

Cassandra

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
That online class I was taking that mentioned to you all about... It recommended not to use steam canners because they are not yet thoroughly tested.

It didn't say they are dangerous! It just said they aren't thoroughly tested.

I realize most of you know lots more about canning than I do. So I'm not suggesting that any of you don't use a steam canner. I just wanted to put out a little precautionary reminder to noobs like me.

Be diligent in your research. Be careful where you get your recipes. (Anyone can make up a recipe and post it on the internet. That doesn't mean it is safe.

Whew. Ok. I will get off my botulism paranoia box now. :)

Cassandra

werblessd1s

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
:frow I can, and the garden is a doozy this year, so my cellar will be stocked! I have picked a bushel of yellow str. neck squash in the last two days!
A nice lady gave me boxes and boxes of canning jars, a juicer, a pressure cooker, a wheat grinder and 30# tins of red turkey wheat and will give me her Vitamix as soon as she finds it!!! I think her mom gave her the canning stuff and her husband bought her the rest, in hopes of her using them, but she doesn't want to....wants to buy her stuff from the store.....so, I get the blessing of inheriting her stuff! :weee
Your sooo lucky! :woot

werblessd1s

Power Conserver
Reaction score
jkm said:
TO THE PEOPLE THAT WANT TO USE A REGULAR CANNER FOR A PRESSURE CANNER......
DON'T DO IT!!!
A PRESSURE CANNER IS VERY DIFFERENT FROM WATER BATH CANNER,,,,,

READ DIRECTIONS ON A PRESSURE CANNER,,,, STEAM IS DANGEROUS IF NOT VENTED CORRECTLY...
I think you can explode your jars!!
remember steam engines used to explode...
That reminded me of when I was little and my grandmother had some peanuts cooking in her pressure cooker. Me and my brother couldn't wait for them to get done so we decided to open up the cooker and peanuts exploded everywhere. We sure had some sore back sides, LOL. :weee

the4heathernsmom

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
?I need a jalepeno pepper jelly recipe' Can anyone share one with me please?

I also need a tomato recipe' for something other than salsa ..... any ideas for something different already did spaghetti sauce, whole, salsas different kinds, hmmmm any thoughts? I have four bags of romas I need to do something with today.