Who here cans??

nccountrygirl

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I've almost got my freezer full and the cabinets are starting to swell. :weee I love a summer garden.

love blrw

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
yotetrapper said:
Yeah i usually freeze pumpkin too, but I saw some recipes somewhere for pumpkin butter, and thought it sounded good.

Here's another question. I found a baked bean recipe (made it up, actually) that my dh LOVES. Uses Pork and Beans. I was looking at the jumbo pork n bean cans for $4-something at my store, and was wondering... can I make a batch of baked beans up and then can them?? Also, since they are cooked, can they be canned in a water bath, or would they require pressure canning?
Hi there, I am new to this site, have posted on backyard chickens only a few times. Just wanted to let you know that anything with meat requires pressure cooking, if you haven't canned much I would suggest the Ball Canning Book, they also have a website. You can go to their forum and ask canning questions, or just read what others have posted.
I have canned for about 20 years, I pick at upick farms and grow a fair sized garden. What I don't can I either freeze or dehydrate.
I am so glad to have found this site to discuss things with like-minded people.
lin:)

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
I can and have been doing so for quite a few years. Each year I like to try something different. This year (so far) I've done dill pickles, icicle pickles, pickled peppers, zucchini salsa, tomato sauce, green tomato pickles and plum jelly.

Acre of Blessings

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I love canning! :love It is one of the most favorite things I do in my kitchen. Just the other day a friend and I canned taco chili meat. It's sooooo good. I also canned some stew meat. I am planning on canning some chicken here in the next couple weeks. I soooo :love to preserve foods for my family.

That reminds me :hu I have dry beans I need to soak so that I can process them to.

pioneergirl

Wannabe Pioneer
Reaction score
I'm new to canning as well. Decided this year to have a big garden and can as much as I could. I just got finished with green beans, and also Bread &Butter pickles, both the regular and sweet kind. I need to make sweet relish next. I've canned peas, and meat as well (homegrown chicken, and some beef). When the corn is ready, that will be canned, and my SIL has an apple tree and told me I could help myself to as much as I wanted for spicy apples, apple sauce, apple butter, etc. I CAN"T WAIT!! lol

I'd like to know about the baked beans as mentioned before.....my MIL makes a great batch, and I would love to can it.

mirime

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I'm just learning; back when I was 16, I taught myself to make jam (with paraffin seal) but I'm learning the hot water bath way now.

I've only canned two items - b&b pickles and blueberry jam. Looking forward to my next canning adventure.

the simple life

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
pioneer girl, thats great about all the apples you can get.
I love spicy canned apples. We go apple picking in september and pick a ton. Then its a whole week of canning and baking.
The good part is by then we have canned everything else you can imagine that was already in season.
Do you use the red hot cinnamon candies in your canned apples?
They turn our bright red but have the cinnamon flavor.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
I have a friend who freezes wild elderberries when they're in season. Then, she adds them to her cooking pot when she's making applesauce. It gives the sauce a beautiful natural pink-purple color.