Who is on Facebook?

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
The very people who are careful to not expose their real names and locations on forums and chat rooms will expose everything on Facebook....because everyone who can view it is their "friends".

I've read article after article about employers who use FB to screen employees or even decide if they should be let go, according to their personal life as it is revealed on line. One person I know personally was let go from his good job because his wife bad mouthed the company on FB.

Identity theft? Most ID theft is from friends and family or neighbors...just heard that on the news yesterday.

I know people can find you anyway if they are determined...but why make it so darn easy? You never know what you post on there that can come back to bite you, no matter how benign.
EXACTLY! lol.

My work just sent out a memo on that. If those who are posting customer names and badmouthing the company do not cease immediately, they will be fired. They mass sent it to warn everyone. Blogs and FB.

It makes sense. I'd hire/fire based on what I see them do online. Especially if they badmouth the company or reveal information they legally shouldn't.

My blog is bad enough! LOL. I make no pains to hide how nuts I am ever, anyway, but my blog takes it from "abi is so quirky" into the abyss.

;)

murphysranch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
It is common sense. Many of my friends are from cattle dog rescue, and I've taken to hiding some of them. Then there have been at least 2 dozen more requests, from ppl I've never heard of. So I "ignore". I'm only interested in reading/connecting/encouraging ppl of whom I've had a past or present relationship with, via SS, or AuCaDo or my old neighborhood.

On that note, my high school buddy, whom I've not heard from since '73 found me via FB. Its fun to catch up via FB on her life, her children, her career.

Just don't be stooopid and post about your likes, dislikes, career, hates, loves - keep it simple stupid. Afterall, its entertainment at its best.

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I mostly share articles, song lyrics, book quotes, music videos, some photos & occasional glimpses into my day. I don't add anyone I don't already know AND want to talk to, either IRL or via this forum. Actually, the folks on this forum are the first ones I've added that I don't know face to face :)

Abi, I love your blog :)

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
I am on FB.
I mostly play games in order to unwind. I have reconnected with friends and it is nice to note what everyone is doing. I am careful about what I do say on there. For anything really personal I use email or write letters or call.
I also have learned a lot, since people post links and news stories.
I also post pictures, these are easier for my parents to see. I usually post pictures available for anyone to see, but sometimes I have it set up so only my family can see them.
I enjoy it.
If you would like to friend me, pm me and I'll give you my real name. I prefer to retain some sort of anonimity ;) After all this is a very public forum.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I don't care who knows where I am. Steal my identity? Bwaa haa haa. Yeah...have fun.

pioneergirl

Wannabe Pioneer
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
I don't care who knows where I am. Steal my identity? Bwaa haa haa. Yeah...have fun.
There are about 16 people with my name, just off of a Google search that I did, and thats people around the world. Steal my identity? Well, maybe so, but I'm sure you actually improve my credit, not hurt it. :p

I respect people's decision to not use FB or any other public networking site. I guess, as Bee said, anyone can get your info if they are determined. Heck, just logging online makes you vulnerable...so I'm told.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I read an article the other day about how any info/words you have ever posted to the net is still there and can be found, even if you erased it, deleted it, etc., by computer geniuses.

Computer nerds could rule the world!!! :barnie

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
I read an article the other day about how any info/words you have ever posted to the net is still there and can be found, even if you erased it, deleted it, etc., by computer geniuses.

Computer nerds could rule the world!!! :barnie
Aww crud - they're gonna find out about all the sunburned coots! :hide

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
Wow, the coot discussion has a life of it's own! :lol:

Personally, I am not into the whole idea of Facebook. People I knew who were left in my past were left there for a reason, usually. :/ Many of them would not understand my choice of lifestyle anyway. I figure, why give them something to talk about? Or giggle about. :rolleyes:

But I am also the sort of person who swears they will never go to a highschool reunion.

Frankly I am more interested in the future and the people I will meet as my interests in life lead me farther up the road. I don't care to look backwards. :hu

As far as keeping in touch with people I know now, I just don't have the time it would take to spend on Facebook, reading a pre-approved, edited update to their life. If they want to tell me what is new in their life, I'd love to hear about it directly from them. :)

Even if you try to be careful, if you are a private person and try to keep your life private on Facebook, I think you will find it is impossible. I don't think it is set up to respect privacy.

JMO

Latest posts