Who reads what we write?

glenolam

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Well, here's my take on the whole 'protect your identity' thing.

There's so many ways for people to find stuff out about you that it's ridiculous to try and prohibit it. You'd have to be the "Sand Paper Man" and move consistently, only use cash, never have a phone number (or the same number twice) and pretty much live an anonymous life.

I mean, if you googled my name using my maiden name (when I never opened up any type of account in my name phone, electricity, credit cards, etc), youd come up in some wicked old high school cross country meet results. I never input that information on the internet, it's just there from someone posting the race results. From there you could determine where I went to school, thus where I could possibly live. And then you could look up in the school yearbook for my picture. Or, you could search the phone book for my last name and find my phone number since my mother and I had the same last name. Or, at this day in age, you can white page my name and come up with all addresses Ive ever lived at because I once had a job and received W2s and did my taxes.

Its stupid to me to worry about people find out my personal information on the internet. Im not talking social security number or stuff like that, I mean where I live, whos in my family, my phone number, etc. If I was worried about that Id become a hermit who doesnt talk to anybody.

As WZ said, Im more worried about the thieves down the road (or my husbands idiotic brother) coming to my house and stealing than someone finding out where I live.

We go by the sign Icu4dzs has if you step foot on our property unwelcome and were there, youll find yourself at the business end of The Bodyguardjust like ol Joey did

Mess with my familyhuhjust ask ol Joey :cool:

Shiloh Acres

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Love the sign, icu!

I'm not worried about view to post ratio being high. I expect that. But if I understand correctly, you are saying that certain KINDS of posts have a much higher ratio? That would be interesting ...

As for Internet security. Ugh. I try to be as careful as possible in forums. I don't give my name, my children's names, or even my animals' names. I try not to list businesses that can be identified as for sure being within 250 miles of me. I'm even nervous giving weather reports so I'm usually ambiguous about the details unless I'm sure the info fits a very wide area. Still, I've had a good friend point out goof-ups. And after becoming friends with others on a forum, THEY have mistakenly shared info I would never have.

Facebook (I do use it) and online ordering and searching ... Is very eye opening. Create a profile on me? I'm surprised the websites that seem to know my profession, where I live (or have lived), and what kinds of things I tend to be interested in. Especially since every time I sign up for something and personal info is requested, I generally use a "fake" set of information I have developed.

I don't know how all that stuff works, but clearly "they" have WAY more info on me than *I* ever gave them! The gps-photo thing is just scary too. I discovered it on my own before I had posted anything anyway, but I must say, I don't agree with that info being part of the photo encoding without full disclosure, along with warnings and information about how to remove it.

meriruka

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I try not to get too wound up about the erosion of my privacy but it really is irritating.
Those satellite photos are awful - I live in the middle of nowhere but have to be fully dressed to go outside.
I won't have an EZpass because it's no one's business where I'm going. My cell is off unless I'm actually talking on it, I don't use credit cards (except for emergencies) - nobody's business what I'm buying. I give out fake info for grocery savings cards (can't pass up the $ you can save) and the census had me grinding my teeth.

As for the internet, I read a lot of threads but don't post because I either got bored, don't have anything valuable to add or somebody has already said what I would say. There is always a possibility of a lurking weirdo with bad intentions but hey, those are everywhere and I think the local ones are a bigger threat.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Those satellite photos are awful - I live in the middle of nowhere but have to be fully dressed to go outside.
I fully expect my fat white butt to end up on google earth someday (_|_)

My cell is off unless I'm actually talking on it
Unless you remove the battery, you can still be tracked via your cell phone.

There is always a possibility of a lurking weirdo with bad intentions but hey, those are everywhere and I think the local ones are a bigger threat.
That.

meriruka

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
[
My cell is off unless I'm actually talking on it
Unless you remove the battery, you can still be tracked via your cell phone.
Didn't know that. Luckily my phone is never where I am because is always somewhere else when I want to use it. They can go ahead and track it.....if they want to know where I'm NOT :p

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Okay how can they track you? Sorry Im more of a chicken person than a cell person :p

Interesting thread I read all four pages and had to go back once so there is 5 views :p

GOOGLE NIKOLA TESLA

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
the most powerful way to block the phone is with an aluminum box or what is called a faraday cage, it stops the microwave signals going out or comming in, but still it would need to be taken out if you want to use the cellular services which would send a ping out to the cell towers and location is found lol. they use what is called triagulation to track people, they always have people look to the gps satillites, but before this tracking they used ground triangulation if they need to track someone. what it is that the signal you give off which goes in all directions ,hits between 3 cell towers and now they have an area of where you are located, it might even be more exact that that too. just some things to think about:) new cars are all blackboxed and have tracking devices too for speed, oonn starr systems is a good start.
in the future they want to put tracking chips in humans and animals, they already started getting the gov to sign tracking chips for live stock so its a start, test it on the animals, then push it on the people lol... its terrible. all of what i said was on the news at one point or another...

:p

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
Wannabefree said:
Well I feel very safe, I'm to poor for anyone to want to rob me. :lol: They'd only have to bring a small sack for their loot :p
I'm with you, WBF. And since I'm way, way out in a remote area, who would waste the gas?

I try to share only things I don't care if the whole world knows, both here and on Facebook. Just as glenolam illustrated, anyone can find you if they have enough resources, unless we turn into some sort of Jerimiah Johnsons.

That being said, I do not use our real family names or the names of my friends here, simply out of respect. I do use the real animal names however, so if someone wanted to really find the lady who named her dogs Bandit, Raider, Bindi Jo, Anika and Deirdre, well, they are gonna catch me. :lol: But I also don't air private family business or discuss my bank account numbers or give out my address, or even my closest town, just in case someone were looking for me.

I feel to some extent the distance between us all is rather insulating. I have some awful nice Creme D' Argent rabbits here, but probably most of the people who would be interested in them are folks like me, who also like to live off in the mountains by themselves, raising their own food, far, far away. There might be some lurkers here who might want to steal rabbits, but I kinda doubt it, and then I kinda doubt they live on my street. And since I've never said what town I'm even near, it is getting to be an awful lot of work to steal a couple of bunnys worth less than 20 dollars each, and only my neighbors and my vets and close friends know those NAMES I call my dogs......

When I did find another SS person on this forum in my area, I was delighted, I'd like to network with other SS people, but through the PM system you can evaluate whom you give more personal information to. I bought my Cremes from an underage but experienced rabbit person in my state that I met via Backyard herds. We network now and it has been GREAT having new local contacts made this way. So used correctly, the internet can also be a GOOD way to meet people and not just something to be frightened of. It is a matter of using good sense.

It was funny, when my rabbit friend and I agreed to meet, my hubby had to come with me, and her daddy had to come with her. We both took it as a good sign that both our families were worried about an internet meeting. But it all worked out!

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I just think it's sad that things were developed to be 'good' things can also be used for 'bad' things, ya know? That can be said for many things. Best things we can do is use some common sense and love life! I refuse to live under a basket because of the Big Brother thing. If they want to view my big white butt, go for it. But I bet they're more interested in some terrorist group...or the sandpaper guy. :D

Icu4dzs

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
" And it came to pass in those days, that there went out a decree from Caesar Augustus, that all the world should be taxed..." Luke 2:1

Nothing has changed my friends, just the names.

We either accept what they do or we don't. Each has their own personal limits. I for one do not intend to accept "being tagged" or marked or any other form of ID regardless of whether or not they threaten to prevent me from buying or selling...

I have limits beyond which I will NOT go, ever.

YMMV
//BT//
Trim sends (and means it)