Who reads what we write?

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
I will testify to the value of having a cell phone in an emergency.

Hubby and I were driving around on back roads WAAAAAAY out of civilization a few years back and drove our two wheel drive truck into a sandy dry riverbed. We were buried in sand over the back axles and over the front wheels. Not only that, we were so very far off the beaten path WE didn't know where we were!

Because my worrying GEEK son insisted I always carry one, I had a cell phone (pay as you go) with NO signal at all. It was charged ... thankfully. It took three tries to get a signal when I called 911, but it worked! After about 20 minutes of talking the local sheriff department had figured out where we were and was able to send a deputy and a tow truck.

I don't think I need to call everyone I know and post my whereabouts like some do, but a charged cell phone (even one with no service plan or access) is mighty handy when you need it.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Denim Deb said:
Henrietta23 said:
Living the Simple Life said:
I know someone in real estate who has been dealing with an overzealous client (read stalker) and yet this person constantly posts on facebook "I am at XYZ restaurant; I am headed to get a haircut at ABC salon; etc." I just scratch my head and think, wow if I was dealing with someone following me, I probably wouldn't be putting out a breadcrumb trail.....:ep
Sheesh!! Not too bright, huh?
I honestly don't understand this need that some people have to publish their every thought and movement on FB. I'll post something kind of trivial or dumb once in a while but it's usually because I know it may spark a little conversation. I've got a "friend" who posts when she's going to bed each night. Who cares!!??? Another will post from her phone that she is grocery shopping. I'm tempted to text her and ask her to pick something up for me....
Do it! I dare you to. Make that, I double dog dare you to. :D
:lol:

Do it!!! Do it!! Do it!!

Shiloh Acres

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I do like having a cell phone. Mostly it's a very handy notepad cuz I always keep it with me and I don't need a pen. Ive got a full file of notes of prices of things I commonly buy. It's also a camera, Internet access, pocket Bible, and I can even play games on it if I am waiting somewhere and get bored. Oh, and yeah, I can call in case of emergency.

It NEVER rings, lol. And I very rarely call anyone. It is my only phone though. Haven't had a landline in years (though I've only recently had a phone that would actually do any of that other stuff).

And yeah, I guess it's a tracking device. Of course I don't really like that part. I saw an ap where you can pull up the location of a phone using another phone. I thought, wow, what an invasion of privacy! But at least you have to have the phone you want to search to get it in that system to look it up later. So some random person can't find me that way. But that did let me know the technology was there!

As far as FB, I totally don't get the check-ins either. I can also see all the places my friends say they go. That stays there. I use it to look up local events, but I refuse to "like" the town's page. That would make their updates show up on my news feed (nice), but it would also tell anyone who can get to my info where I might live.

I have friends who say goodnight too. I guess it's a way of letting people know you won't be responding to their comments anymore that night?

And I too usually post status updates for the sake of starting conversation. Certainly NOT for telling the world my every move. Who would really be interested in all that detail anyway?

valmom

Crafter
Reaction score
I play games on FB mostly. Castle Age is great- I am a member of a 100 person "guild" and we have a lot of stuff set up to do as a team. Sometimes we get to chatting while waiting to do something- it is a great way to get to know people from across the world who I now consider friends I have never met! I do say good night to them after a battle to let them know I am not going to answer the thread any more, and I'm not just dissing them!

Shiloh Acres

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Hey, I play CA! Or more like I used to. I had worked to get my stats so high (for back then) that I really tried to hang onto it, but honestly I just don't have time. I probably run down my energy and stamina once a month now. At least I still get points from being attacked while I'm gone, LOL. I may just make High King yet. ;)

Edited to add ... It's funny, some of the people I talk to most often on FB are from Farmville, since I am part of a group there that helps each other out. I've learned more about their lives and chatted with them more than some of my real-life friends I've wanted to keep up with, and consider them "real friends" now. It also helped me out at work. I had a co-worker who seemed a bit resentful of me. I found out she played Farmville, and she has a nice farm. But she couldn't get fancy rams for breeding. So, I sent her a couple back when no one had them yet, and somehow we were friends at work after that, lol, for which I was grateful. A peaceful work environment is important. :)

MyKidLuvsGreenEgz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Just went to spokeo.com and typed in the varieties of my name. OMG! I'm thoroughly upset and ticked. Where do they get this info?

I'm also pretty poor and have nothing much of value to steal. Still, roving hourds of those zombies everyone talks about won't care. My ID has already been stolen once but because I'm so broke, it didn't last long. No credit cards, and no money in the bank!

I had to break down and give my name and my son's because of the seizure dog and the fundraising we're doing for it. But anyone who has that info knows my life is a mess and I'm really not worthy of attacking or pillaging from. Thinking that once we're done fundraising for the dog and so forth, might get off of FB. Haven't used Twitter in a while. Gonna have to think about blogging.

My cell phone won't turn off. It's about had it tho. Next one I buy, I'll be reviewing carefully. My car is really really old but about to give up the ghost. Thinking I'll work on it anyway, because I really don't think anyone has the right to know where my car is (that black box, etc). I won't be tagged, id'd or microchipped. Same for my family and animals. I'll get rid of them first (the animals, not the family).

Now I'm getting paranoid.

I think I'll move. Change my name. Change my son, er, daughter's name. Etc.

p.s. going to the feed store this weekend. Anybody need anything?!?!

ETA: Remember I need your recipes for the Getting Healthy Cookbook. There's a section for using stored foods to make healthy meals, perfect for people like us. See my vikkisverandah blog link.

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
Shiloh Acres said:
Hey, I play CA! Or more like I used to. I had worked to get my stats so high (for back then) that I really tried to hang onto it, but honestly I just don't have time. I probably run down my energy and stamina once a month now. At least I still get points from being attacked while I'm gone, LOL. I may just make High King yet. ;)

Edited to add ... It's funny, some of the people I talk to most often on FB are from Farmville, since I am part of a group there that helps each other out. I've learned more about their lives and chatted with them more than some of my real-life friends I've wanted to keep up with, and consider them "real friends" now. It also helped me out at work. I had a co-worker who seemed a bit resentful of me. I found out she played Farmville, and she has a nice farm. But she couldn't get fancy rams for breeding. So, I sent her a couple back when no one had them yet, and somehow we were friends at work after that, lol, for which I was grateful. A peaceful work environment is important. :)
I use Facebook much the same way, as a communication tool and for fun. I can't see what people are going to learn about my life from a picture of my kids high school graduation or my progress on Frontierville, or photos of my latest baby bunnies.

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have also toyed with the idea that I might not want to volunteer all my activities online, just in case the wrong people like what all I might have. But what I might not want to say (and I won't go into exacts here) is that I might actually have a few surprises set up already and plan on getting more. Some of my property is not 100% safe for vandals and thieves.
Even if TSHTF, and police protection is out......every man for himself synerio, a good trap well hidden is valueable. At the very least, you would know where to go to reclaim your stuff. In the meantime, crime is on the rise here and I somehow have managed to not fall victim to some of it. I have one weak area that was attacked, but thats the first place we cracked down on security. I can't wait for the next attack.
Everyone in this area of the woods have large gun collections, so I'm not special, except the ammo is well stocked. I always believed in fences being wonderful at keeping the peace and that every dog needs a job........they can be obtained free of charge if you get a mongrel and with a little patience and studying, can be a valueable asset.

Icu4dzs

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
rhoda_bruce said:
I have also toyed with the idea that I might not want to volunteer all my activities online, just in case the wrong people like what all I might have. But what I might not want to say (and I won't go into exacts here) is that I might actually have a few surprises set up already and plan on getting more. Some of my property is not 100% safe for vandals and thieves.
I guess we have to ask ourselves, "what's wrong with this?" It occurs to me that the problem is not the extent to which Rhoda has to go to protect her home nor the means with which she does it. In my opinion, what is wrong with this is the VERY FACT that she HAS to do it! Our country is being over-run with criminals who have rights but property owners who obey the law DON"T have rights to defend their homes and property. I think it is high time for the SSS mentality, "Shoot, Shovel, Shut-up". That way, we'll never know Rhoda ever had a problem with intruders. She can manage it "her way" without the interference of the bleedin' heart liberal who believes that the criminal has more right to protection than the victim. I have a problem with that approach.

rhoda_bruce said:
Even if TSHTF, and police protection is out......every man for himself synerio, a good trap well hidden is valueable. At the very least, you would know where to go to reclaim your stuff. In the meantime, crime is on the rise here and I somehow have managed to not fall victim to some of it. I have one weak area that was attacked, but thats the first place we cracked down on security. I can't wait for the next attack.
Again, the issue is the fact that she has to do this. It is high time the American people take a stand on the incursion of our country and our homes by criminals and thugs. No more Mr. Nice Guy. "This farm is protected by G*d and Smith&Wesson. If you come here uninvited, you'll meet them BOTH".

rhoda_bruce said:
Everyone in this area of the woods have large gun collections, so I'm not special, except the ammo is well stocked. I always believed in fences being wonderful at keeping the peace and that every dog needs a job........they can be obtained free of charge if you get a mongrel and with a little patience and studying, can be a valueable asset.
Of interest is the fact that geese and peacocks are both VERY good "watchdogs" often better than a dog for their powers of observation and "early warning" but they just don't have the "deterrent power" of a good, well trained dog. I'm thinking Rhodesian Ridgeback...you know the ones bred to hunt lions? That would be my first choice. Fear is NOT in their vocabulary...

If protecting our homes and our families is considered being a "radical" then put me and my kind at the top of the list.
"Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to start a war, let it begin here!" (Capt. John Parker, Lexington, MA 1775)

//BT//
Trim sends

Latest posts