Who reads what we write?

GOOGLE NIKOLA TESLA

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
YEA i was kind of holding back posting pictures, but its hard to know whos watching the posts, thats how i found this site, i was looking up how to grow corn for my little plot and thats how i finally decided to join this site, but i was like is it safe to do that in this crazy world lol....
part of this gets lost in the huge amount of data out there, but the answers for people are easy as a search keyword which narrows down the data and thats when things get errie. sometimes i wonder if people you talk to in blogs are part of the errieness, like an "informant" lol. i heard the gov puts fake personel on the net to poke and prod ideas either to start trouble or prevent ideas, like rigging the views and votes on videos and such or the obvious TROLLS. everything we say and do on the net is saved in huge google and gov databases, so once its on there its gonna be there forever lol.

what is good is when the big media share the post apacolyptic info like the national geographic networks recent show, it causes people to search the net and further the broadness of peoples searches. an interesting idea i heard is searching random topics covering many fields to actually lose advertisers tracking protocols, i dont know if this helps some how decrease the profile that the tracking does these days??

There is to much behind the scenes work going on in data mining that its impossible to know what is being used or saved about all of us:/

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
One thing about the page views that we cannot see, is the number of unique visitors.
I am sure all of us click into various thread several times, as it grows, so each of us contributes to that number over and over.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Bubblingbrooks said:
One thing about the page views that we cannot see, is the number of unique visitors.
I am sure all of us click into various thread several times, as it grows, so each of us contributes to that number over and over.
That's for sure. I've clicked on this thread at least 2x, and this is the first time I'm posting to it.

valmom

Crafter
Reaction score
I guess I don't worry about the Gps showing in my pictures because I can't figure out how to get pictures off my phone and I think my camera is too old to have GPS on it. :p

And, I've contributed to at least 4 views of this topic so far. Unique views would be a more useful stat, but I don't know how that could possibly be done. Or maybe non-logged in views.

Mainergal

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Ok, I'll admit - more than once I've typed in a response to one of these threads and then thought better of it and deleted it. I too got rid of facebook etc. My cell phone is a pay as you go and there is no gps or camera on it. My last phone was so old that when I was recently trying to add minutes to it I'd swear they sent a "kill" signal to it, just to force me to upgrade. It died as I was adding minutes. I share a "pool" of ip numbers with the small town I live in and every time I have to turn off/on the router, I get a new one (sweeet!).

I am 100% paranoid and probably have been for years. I proceed to get worse each year. I worry more about family than strangers, but realistically both. I hate using Sam's Club, but I will. I try to use cash when getting stocks at the regular grocery store.

Not really sure why or how, but about 5-6 years ago "something" didn't feel right and I didn't even know what. I started seeing more and more signs of the financial mess of the USA. Rather than sit and wring my hands I began to search for like minded and found this among many other sites. I have really been using the advice and topics here to help me.

I can't say I'm 100% ready, but I feel a hellofa lot better than I did 5 years ago. Greenhouse, five gardens, stockpiles (not enough), guns, ammo (probably not enough), medical supplies (not enough).

So, from one of probably many quiet and yeah, paranoid people - thank you so much for sharing what you all do! Maybe at some point I'll come more out of this shell.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Denim Deb said:
Bubblingbrooks said:
That's for sure. I've clicked on this thread at least 2x, and this is the first time I'm posting to it.
I would bet that even if this forum were limited to ONLY those who post frequently, there'd probably be at least 5-10x as many views as posts, for a given page.

As noted above, if you post and stick with it thru the redirect page back to see your post "in print", that's two views right there.

If it's a two-page thread, you read it, then go back to page 1 (using the page number button, not "back" on your browser), then reply, that adds 2 or 3 more views to the thread.

If you then check the thread a few more times later in the day to see what others have said, those are added to the new views total.

Furthermore, I don't know about y'all but I read a lot more threads than I comment on (and it's not like I'm exactly a nonposting lurker :p). I would guess the ratio to be maybe in the ballpark of 10:1. And of course some of those threads have multiple pages.

There are certainly a lot of VERY GOOD REASONS to think about what information you're making publicly available (although the amount that is already publicly available whether you like it or not is also kind of scary).

But I really, really, really do NOT think that the views-to-posts ratios on our threads means anything in particular.

Yeah, there may be one or two people out there snouting around for things you might not want them to know (although to be honest my money would VERY HEAVILY be on those people, if they should exist at all, be gummint workers looking for illegal raw milk sales or the tax man looking for unreported-to-the-IRS bartering). But that is surely a tiny minority, and you will get a tiny minority of snoopy people ANYwhere.

JMHO,

Pat

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Ya, I'm with Pat on this one.
I don't worry about the gov't collapsing, or the world coming to an end, or someone trying to drive from Jersey to my place to steal my potatoes because they know I have them. The first things they'll rob are games and TV's, until they figure out they can't eat 'em. I'm rural, so they'll most likely not be using the gasoline to get here. I'm not trying to dog anyone who does worry about that stuff, it's just my take on it.

I gave up Facebook because it was a terrific time waster, but I did reconnect with distant family members and friends that I hadn't talked to in years, so it was good.

Being in the internet sales business, I never give it a thought when I process an order, wondering what the customer is up to. The ONLY one I ever wondered about was a really nice guy that ordered some sandpaper. He didn't want to give me a physical address, finally had it sent UPS pickup (so he had to go to the UPS hub and get it) and had a really hard time giving me a phone number. And credit card info? Wow. I kept assuring him that I'd call ONLY if there was a problem with the order, no one else other than a couple people in the main office could see the info and it was deleted from the system after his credit card payment was processed.

A year later he ordered some sandpaper again. He politely told me that since there had been no reprocussions from his last order, he felt more comfortable ordering from me. He had moved 40 miles into the mountains so he had to pick it up at the UPS hub, had a new phone number (he said, I wouldn't have noticed), etc. Honestly, I felt kind of sorry for the guy, living with that much fear and worry. Like I said, I'm not trying to dog anyone who agrees with his line of thinking, I just choose not to.

I use the internet as a tool (learning new things) and for entertainment. I try to use some common sense about what I put out there to cyberland, but I don't worry about it.

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
Marianne said:
...A year later he ordered some sandpaper again. He politely told me that since there had been no reprocussions from his last order, he felt more comfortable ordering from me. He had moved 40 miles into the mountains so he had to pick it up at the UPS hub, had a new phone number (he said, I wouldn't have noticed), etc...
His name wasn't Ted Kaczynski, was it? :lol:

While I don't advise paranoia, I do recommend not giving out real last names, addresses, and other detailed information on this or any other internet forum. There are just too many weirdos and low life's out there.

Sometime back, on a survival/prepper type website, there was a lengthy post on using the internet for identifying "resources" that could be accessed in a TEOTWAWKI type event. The poster mentioned identifying food distribution warehouses, restaurant supply houses, even vending machine operators. His idea was that in such a situation, these would be fair game. The one thing that was the most chilling, was other preppers. Although he didn't come right out and say it directly, he seemed to feel that if anyone was preppng and foolish enough to provide the details on what they had and where they lived, that the were asking to be "visited" anyway. It might as well be him as someone else, in that case. Of course the others on the forum unloaded on him, but the fact remains that there are these types of people out there.

Icu4dzs

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
K0xxx,
I agree that not discussing too much is clearly a better approach seeing as there are folks like tha out there and they "Definitely" are searching for "resources" that they would want to "liberate" for themselves in a bad situation. Folks need to protect themselves by not advertising their own resources.

The other useful approach is "don't keep all your eggs in one basket". :duc
KIxxxx

hiker

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
I am more concerned about the punks and losers in their neighborhood who can easily see that I have produce growing in the yard and tasty animals outback than some internet stalker.
WZ- this is my fear as well. I have a six foot high fence but am under no illusions that this would keep anyone out of my garden, coop or hive if they were starving.