Whole30 Diet

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yep -- to both of you Bay & NH. Bay -- you guys are doing great. Glad you feel the difference. It gets easier.

I find, as I see the birthdates pass (not getting older, notice?) that you can/do change your eating & cravings. Fact -- your taste buds DO change. Some things you never liked, you then may & vice versa. Retraining yourself is good. I am a LONG time chocolate lover -- which generally includes sugar. Mostly I eat the dark, less sweet. Oddly I rarely use sugar in/on things, other than baked goods & I don't like extreme sweet. Coffee black, plain, etc. I can make myself eat the limited cookie, muffin, etc. slower & be happy.

At this point, if I bake a cake/pie, I plan ahead with where to gift most of it. Otherwise, that rascal sits on the counter calling my name!!!! While I have never, ever, been worried with weight, I sure don't want to now!! Yep, that metabolism slows. Primarily I look at wise diet choices because of any risk of dementia, general health. Lived thru mom -- do NOT want to go there. So my always healthy eating is being refined to limit most "outside" challenges -- Cuss those candy aisles! I do enjoy an occasional small treat, why not? ;)

Bay, I know you & DH entered into this as a general "improve our good health" lifestyle. We are all going there at some point. Sooner is better than later!

SOON you will be able to have a piece of cornbread with those greens!:D Now, one piece each and your chickens will eat the rest of the panful!!! That's a hard panful to toss :lol:

Great summer produce will make it soooo much better.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I work on developing recipes using the ingredients I can have, to fill the voids of those things I can't have. I've been able to find or create recipe substitutes for gravy, cookies and cakes, biscuits, crackers, and pancakes
I managed to make an acceptable Dutch Baby yesterday morning, using coconut flour instead of regular- but I had to add one more egg and another splash of almond milk because coconut flour absorbs so much more liquid. But sprinkled with lemon juice and a sprinkle of powdered Swerve (erithritol) it was quite nice. It didn't puff up as much as a real Dutch Baby, but I have an idea for the next one-- I will beat the egg whites separately until they are stiff and I will change out the almond milk for a mixture of cream and seltzer water. I think between the bubbles in the water and the whites, maybe I will get something appropriately puffy.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We have been doing good on this diet. We both want bread. Today we skidded sideways.......

The feed store where we buy horse feed has closed for several weeks. I have 2 senior horses, 28 and 30, no way I'm changing feed. So we found the same brand some 40 miles away and bought 20 bags. That ought to hold us for awhile!

Coming back, we came through Edom, Tx where there is a café famous for their chicken fried steak. :drool:drool:drool EEEERRRRKKKKK!!!!!! did y'all hear DH's truck tires screeching into the parking lot?? :lol: We both ordered the chicken fried steak and 2 sides. The waitress brought us 2 fluffy yeast rolls and a cornbread muffin. We devoured them. We could barely finish the steaks and didn't eat much of the sides, mashed potatoes and carrots (must have been cooked in 5 pounds of sugar :sick) for me and mashed potatoes and fried okra for DH. Then the pie....... We split a piece. We left and I felt nauseated. The sweet from the pie was sickening to both of us. We agreed, NO MORE PIE! Back to our vegetables and NOT FRIED meats!

Last edited:

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I've noticed after being off sugar and other carbs for over a year now, if I try to cheat it never tastes as good as I remember, and I end up with a headache for the rest of the day. So I don't cheat. The most I might do these days is stretch it just a bit, like having peas as a side dish (only went over my allowance by 3 grams, so not bad)

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We kinda enjoy the fake rice - mostly because we don't ever eat the real stuff - so to us it's pretty ok!

But, your dinner sounds like it was good!

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
One of my favorites is Vinete, a Romanian "eggplant salad"
Ingredients
  • 2 medium eggplants
  • 1/4 cup olive oil, plus more if needed
  • 2 tablespoons lemon juice, plus more if needed
  • 1 small onion, finely chopped
  • 2 heaping tablespoons light mayonnaise, plus more if needed
  • Kosher salt and pepper
  • Dill, chopped, for garnish
Directions
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.

Pierce the eggplant skins in several places with a fork. Set the eggplants on a baking sheet and roast until soft and the skin is charred, 30 to 45 minutes, turning a few times for even roasting.

When done, cut off the stems and peel the eggplants. Cut a slit along the side of each eggplant and transfer the eggplants to a strainer for a couple of minutes to allow the juices to drain.

Finely chop the eggplants with a knife until they form a smooth puree. Add the eggplant puree to a bowl and stir in the olive oil and lemon juice until well-blended; taste and add more olive oil and lemon juice if desired. Add the onion and mix in the mayonnaise, adding more if needed. Season with salt and pepper. Garnish with dill and refrigerate for at least one hour to chill.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Soon it will be 3 weeks into this adventure -- how's it going?

Both of us are not craving sweets. THAT is a biggie! Chocolate is my downfall, sugar anything is DH's downfall. But now we aren't missing it like we were. We had leftovers tonight, porkchops, mustard greens, salad and grapefruit salad. For awhile, I was hungry and couldn't get filled up. Now I am satisfied on less. We both want bread. I was thinking about cornbread while eating those mustard greens! DH can tell the difference in how his clothe are fitting This is worth it if it can break my husband of being a sugar-holic.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
That's great! My husband is a sugar-holic too. I am trying not to be, now that I am allowed to eat normal people food... I know I would be better off eating what I was eating!

You'll find it even easier once you have the "right" foods coming out of the garden I'm sure!

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
After a year on keto, I've discovered that if I try to cheat with a higher carb meal or treat.... I end up with serious "gastric distress"... When I finally reach my goal weight I will have to reintroduce carbs very slowly.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Best of luck! It's going to take a little while to adapt to the diet, but once your bodies are used to it and you start feeling better, you won't miss the sugar so much.