wide scale preparations scenario

modern_pioneer

Mountain Man
Reaction score
I was at ground zero 2 days after Katrina hit, I stayed in a womans shelter while doing search and rescue. I have photos that I can't show you here of the bodies I ran across that had been killed.

Let me say this, people that are not prepared panic and resort to guns and violence. Basic needs they feel that have to get and secure, as well as beat and rape and band together like a gang. Dogs did start to pack when I was there, and were eating anything, even flesh of the expired people.

During one rescue we ran into a gang of four males holding up in a small corner store, they were firing shots at another location where I think some other people were.

I would band here with a couple other families, for security reason. I also would demand those people bring fire arms, ammo, blankets, first aid, canned food, small engines, rope, chickens, (any small animals we could harvest for food and feed in a pasture) and any camo or dark clothing along with their stand clothes.

I would set up around the clock patrols, taking it in 4 hour shifts. I would black out my basement and remove all lights from up stairs and use the generator only when needed. The small one is so quiet, you can't hear from 40 feet away.

I would put together a 3 person armed team and go into the city and get anything everything we could. I would raid the local propane supplier and steal as much propane as I could stack in my trailer. If alone I would still do the same, hunker down and wait till night fall. I can cook/can food with propane, and my forklift operates off propane.

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
modern_pioneer, that is exactly the sort of behavior I would expect here where I live. Which is why I would prefer to get out of the city ASAP! SIL's place is hard to get to, which would be good for us. The city slickers would be less likely to venture there and they would have to pass all the other folks living on that road, who are probably doing the same thing as us.

I would also expect to have my DD and DSS and a few other close family and friends join us. Of course I would expect them to bring anything usefull, like some of the items you mentioned.
I think this is where dogs can be real usefull too!! If nothing else, they will sound the alarm, if there is an anomaly.

I think having books on survival is important here also.

Although the best thing is to be knowledgeable about how to do stuff and to be able to think outside the box. I think that is something most of us on here are pactising, so we are already better prepared than the average person.

I would invite people I care for deeply, people who have knowledge of survival skills, even if they are not able to work as much (such as my elderly neighbor) and people who are willing and able to work, even if they don't have the know how (such as my DD's roomate, who is a nice kind strong able bodied young man).
But there would have to be a point at which I would have to stop inviting people, since we would have only limited food and space.
And when you have more people, things can get unwieldy!

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
I have just over 6000 rounds of .223 and two guns in that caliber.
4 12 gauge shotguns + many cases of ammo
2 20 gauge shotguns + a lot of ammo
WAY to many handguns/ammo to list here.

A VERY well stocked pantry and 12, 20lb propane tanks, not counting the 500 gallon one for cooking on.

I am reasonably certain we will make it for a few months. :D :D

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
I would feel a lot better, if we lived in the country. We would have no problem surviving for months with what we have, although water might be a bit of an issue, but we are on a well, so it would be a matter of figuring out how to get to it.

Living in a small city, our concern is definitely the hordes of unprepared people, who would want to help themselves. There is just no way two people could defend themselves 24/7. We are having problems with that sort of stuff already, I cannot imagine how bad it would be, if there was an emergency here like Katrina!! or the quake in Haiti!!

As much as I would like to defend and protect what is mine, I think the wiser choice would be for us to leave the area. Although I am equally sure our place would be trashed, when we returned.

old fashioned

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I guess I was thinking more of a perfect scenario-without the violence. But it's true it would come to that and probably faster than any of us would like to think. Some people just get crazy when panic sets in. It would even test the trust of close family and friends.

I would think everyone would have a better chance for survival if they'd be willing to buddy-up. It reminds me of a sad story though....

The Cold Within

Six humans trapped by happenstance
In dark and bitter cold.
Each one possessed a stick of wood,
Or so the story's told.

Their dying fire in need of logs,
The first woman held hers back.
For on the faces around the fire,
She noticed one was black.

The next man looking cross the way,
Saw one not of his church.
And couldn't bring himself to give
The fire his stick of birch.

The third one sat in tattered clothes,
He gave his coat a hitch.
Why should his log be put to use,
To warm the idle rich?

The rich man just sat back and thought
Of the wealth he had in store.
And how to keep what he had earned
From the lazy, shiftless poor.

The black man's face bespoke revenge
As the fire passed from sight.
For all he saw in his stick of wood
Was a chance to spite the white.

The last man of this forlorn group
Did naught except for gain
Giving only to those who gave
Was how he played the game.

The logs held tight in death's still hands
Was proof of human sin.
They didn't die from the cold without.
They died from---THE COLD WITHIN......Author Unknown

and another called "Stone Soup".......I don't remember it exactly but the idea is there. It's a "once upon a time" kinda story-before modern age.

Times were hard and people poor and most went to bed hungry, wishing for some more.
A traveling man went thru a village looking for work, but found everyone poorer than he. So he invited everyone to a wonderful banquet. The townspeople all agreed to come and was the custom, each brought alittle something to share.

When they arrived, they found the traveling man sitting by a fire over which hung a large kettle that only held a small stone and filled with water. As each came close, they gave a sniff and asked what was in the pot. Stone Soup, the answer came-just throw in what you've got to spice it up a bit.

The butcher brought a bone, the baker brought a loaf of bread, the dairy brought some butter, others brought a carrot or two, a stalk of celery, potato, onion and the list goes on. Each and every one brought something to add to the feast.

At the days end, everyone was full and took some extra home. They all had to admit it was a great day and finally felt full.

The morale......if each is left alone, we starve....but together we have much more

So these are "soppy", but a lesson just the same.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Modern_Pioneer, first of all thanks for your help at ground zero during the Katrina aftermath.

Which state were you in? I did all I could, stuck in Houston volunteering with the masses. What a big mess that Hurricane caused.

I'm glad to be a million miles away from the Gulf Coast, it don't play.

Worst case scenario for me? Not sure if I want to stick around long enough to find out. Hopefully living out in the forest in the country will buy me some time.

*note to self, don't sneak up on SKR8PN!*

old fashioned

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
SKR8PN said:
I have just over 6000 rounds of .223 and two guns in that caliber.
4 12 gauge shotguns + many cases of ammo
2 20 gauge shotguns + a lot of ammo
WAY to many handguns/ammo to list here.

A VERY well stocked pantry and 12, 20lb propane tanks, not counting the 500 gallon one for cooking on.

I am reasonably certain we will make it for a few months. :D :D
SCOOT OVER, I'm coming to your house. :lol:

rty007

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I am wondering, I know that you folks on the other side of the paddle have another attitude to weapon as it is kind of different, then here, here only criminals can get weapons easily, a normal JOE like say me is thrown all and any obstacle the GOV can to prevent ordinary people like me from getting a firearm. I do however know, how to fire a gun both short and long, as I did a nearly year long selfdefense course including using your body, knives, katana and both short and long barrel weapons. Many people including the trainer on the selfd course said, that when I first came in, he looked at me as a fluffy little shy boy, that I basically am. But I am also riding my bike a lot, so I do have some stamina, and agility, I can walk from 15 to 20 miles a day with full equipment backpack or ride a bike for more then 60 miles. Anyway.. what I am trying to say is, would you seriously be able to shoot someone? I know I would, but many people as I was saying, claim that I am either a sociopath, or an autistic person, since I did feel true love to my girlfriend who passed away, I guess it must be the first one. We had some situations with friends, when friends wouldn't talk to me for days after we met some thugs claiming that the mobile in my pocket belonged to him. As of everyday, I am a little awkward, but generally a nice guy if I can deal with the person and then, I can tell em to go to hell and take a toothbrush. It is one thing talking about it, but another doing the deed, that is why for example I know I would and in some time will have trouble with butchering the chicks and bunnies, couse they didn't do anything to me. But when someone threatens me or my family, I wouldn't hesitate even an eyeblink to bite his head of and pee in his throat. My friends say that it is like flipping a switch, till I can I avoid any physical violence, then... well then something gets out of me and it ain't pretty.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
rty007, I've never held a gun in my life. I would not be able to shoot someone unless my daughter's life were on the line...then I wouldn't blink an eye.

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
hmm, that 5 gallon's wouldn't get us far lol

We usually have 2 - 25 litre tanks of gas on hand plus a few smaller ones for the lawn mowers and whipper snippers.

We have a freezer full of chickens

I think our biggest concern would be canned goods, hay for the horses and goats, and animal feeds.

I too have never held a gun in my life and I don't think I want to. My neighbour has a gun and lots of people around here hunt so meat is pretty plentiful if you ask the right people ;)