wide scale preparations scenario

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
My friends say that it is like flipping a switch, till I can I avoid any physical violence, then... well then something gets out of me and it ain't pretty.
Totally understandable.

a normal JOE like say me is thrown all and any obstacle the GOV can to prevent ordinary people like me from getting a firearm.
Maybe it is time to revive the use of a traditional English long bow :D

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
I'm starting the PR campaign soon.
Printing out big quarantined signs for starters.
"Rabies" would be very believable here, then later down the road maybe a "Leprosy" or "Ebola" sign.
Finally, a PETA sign with a footnote about being vegetarian. I figure that if they were that hungry they could get grass, roots and twigs anywhere, not necessarily in my yard.

Wide scale means everyone will have the same game plans. Woods, bands, wild foods, stealing.

okiegirl1

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
sylvie said:
I'm starting the PR campaign soon.
Printing out big quarantined signs for starters.
"Rabies" would be very believable here, then later down the road maybe a "Leprosy" or "Ebola" sign.
Finally, a PETA sign with a footnote about being vegetarian. I figure that if they were that hungry they could get grass, roots and twigs anywhere, not necessarily in my yard.

Wide scale means everyone will have the same game plans. Woods, bands, wild foods, stealing.
On another thread, somone mentioned trashing the outside of your place so it looked like it was already looted. That was pretty cleaver to me

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
You are a genius!

I happen to own printing equipment. I think some "Quarantine! Bubonic Plague!" signs may have to be printed :D

Besides the plague, other Colorado diseases include West Nile Virus and the Hantavirus, but I think the plague signs would work the best. :D

old fashioned

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I've handled guns before as a kid....my dad was an ex-cop, NRA member and staunch beliver of our constitution-especially the 2nd (?) amendment (gun rights). It was grilled into me about how I should know how to shoot. The only problem-I've always been terrified of guns and once even got my finger caught in the slide of an automatic pistol when trying to cock it. OUCH!
DH has a few around here for hunting and I wouldn't hesitate if it came right down to it. Even with my fear, I also know of the potential neccessity. We've even taught our two young boys about weapons in general. They are still young 10 & 8, and right now have a load of toy guns, airsoft BB guns, compound bows, knives, and have had some practice with a .22 rifle. The 8yo isn't too bad, but needs much more practice and to build his upper body strength. The 10yo on the other hand is a damn good shot, even getting the quarter club award from cubscout camp for shooting atleast 5 shots within the space of a quarter. He loves guns & weapons and target practice. Of course the mother in me didn't like all the violence within this child, I've gotten over that and now encourage him in it. In a SHTF-I'd want both my boys right along side and well armed.

As for the PR campaign, we've already started. House doesn't look like much. Most people know we don't have much. There's a sign on the front of the house "This property is under 24 hour surveillance" with a camera just above it, my vehicle is plastered with gun rights type bumper stickers to include "a lady with a gun, has more fun", "my dog eats everything I shoot" and my personal fav "save a child, shoot a drug dealer". You wouldn't believe the looks and comments I get from people. Especially since I started wearing one of DH's old camo hunting jackets :gig
I figure the best defense is a great offense.

old fashioned

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
lupinfarm said:
hmm, that 5 gallon's wouldn't get us far lol

We usually have 2 - 25 litre tanks of gas on hand plus a few smaller ones for the lawn mowers and whipper snippers.

We have a freezer full of chickens

I think our biggest concern would be canned goods, hay for the horses and goats, and animal feeds.

I too have never held a gun in my life and I don't think I want to. My neighbour has a gun and lots of people around here hunt so meat is pretty plentiful if you ask the right people ;)
Lupinfarm-ya might want to include the electric to keep those chickens froze. Freezer is only good for about a week or so, even if kept closed. Fridge is even less-24 to 48 hours-ish

That is one of my greatest concerns is to keep foods cold and running water.

rty007

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
:hide:

don't beat me up please, but sitting and translating those herbal remedies for the other thread I think that what would be the most important is to be able to prepare as much medicine naturally and in a SS way. So I vote for herbal seeds as first, couse you can always hunt something from the forest for meat, forage for some edibles, but you need medicine in case of emergencies. One of the "herbs" I think might come in handy, probably more as a barter then for use is... :hide: THE weed :hide: As you know I live in Poland and I did have, though they have now expired, great grandparents, and still living grandparents who did live through the WW II, camps and all that hell. And all of them said that it sure was nice to have someone from the rural areas who was able to make moonshine from potatoes, it was a great barter item in those dire times.

They say about all the good Marijuana can do, quoting after Carlos Mencia (a stand up comedian) "I don't know, I don't fraking care, I wasn't there" but probably some people here, even though staying in the shadow about it, and I am fine with that, but could be using it for pains, nausea, sclerosis something, something and all those other somethings they claim it helps with. Maybe, keeping a pack of seeds around might not be such a bad idea.

EDIT:
As for the PR campaign, we've already started. House doesn't look like much. Most people know we don't have much. There's a sign on the front of the house "This property is under 24 hour surveillance" with a camera just above it, my vehicle is plastered with gun rights type bumper stickers to include "a lady with a gun, has more fun", "my dog eats everything I shoot" and my personal fav "save a child, shoot a drug dealer". You wouldn't believe the looks and comments I get from people. Especially since I started wearing one of DH's old camo hunting jackets gig
I figure the best defense is a great offense.
about the drug dealers sticker, even after what I just wrote, (remember... TSHTF) but in normal circumstances, give me a gun and a permit and I would gladly regularly thin the population. The problem is, that you shoot a piece of POOP like that and you're charged with manslaughter, MAN is the key part.. like that thing is even a human being.

old fashioned

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Great idea rty007, a good supply of herbs for medicinal purposes but also the knowledge of how to use them would also be very important.
As for that "other" herb/weed, yes I do know it is also very medicinal but I know myself well enough if I had it, I'd prolly smoke it for recreational purposes to escape the carnage around me. Or better yet cook it up in some brownies and offer some to the enemy, get them feeling gooood then off em somehow.

eta-in m y opinion there is alot of difference between a little weed and a drug dealer...I took your comments as being for medicinal reasons-no problem...MHO-drug dealer is a hard core slime ball who targets kids---I don't care if they deal to adults-that's their choice-just leave the kids alone.

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
I have had to kill any number of creatures during my time here on earth. Didn't enjoy doing it one time, but sometimes you have to do what you have to do.......
I spent 9 years in the military, and they taught me well. Sometimes I wonder if that training wasn't TO good.....