wide scale preparations scenario

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I told hubby he better be REALLY nice to me if TSHTF. First of all, he doesn't know how to cook a lot of the stuff in the stash. Second, he doesn't know where half of the stuff I stashed IS. And 3rd, I can raise animals, loom knit, sew, hunt, garden, fish AND brew mead. I would have NO PROBLEM finding someone who appreciates my skill set :D

old fashioned

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
:lol: :lol: that's :lol: :lol: normal :lol: :lol: isn't :lol: it? :lol: :lol:

:lol: :lol: :gig :lol: :gig :gig :lol:

yep you're both trouble!:lol: :hide :lol:

eta-psssst, I want the jeep thingy painted pink with flowers of course! :lol:

pioneergirl

Wannabe Pioneer
Reaction score
I must admit :hide I am already working on such a scenario. Myself and a friend of over 15 years have always had a 'meetin spot' should SHTF, however over the years our dynamic has changed a bit. We are continuously modifying our plans. We are amassing a library of skill books, small items, and other things. We have backpacks packed, each for a different scenario, should we have to 'bug out'.

As for the 'home front'......as some of you have seen from my journal, I am gathering things along my travels for 'off grid' comfort. Again, a skills library is in the works (I found a really awsome book today!). DH and I live far enough out in the country that for at least 6 months we'll be 'unknown', and after that Goddess help the person who comes to steal, or harm me and my family. I don't have a gun, I have my bow (I figure I can make arrows), I will have a dog, and I know the land for several miles surrounding my house.

What do I think will happen? For the first 6 months I think those without proper survival skills will do anything and everything to survive. Once that group dies out, those that have formed gangs will indeed steal from anyone they can. But I don't think they'll venture too far from their supply. I don't think they'll posses the skills to make their own fuel, unless they've got some highly educated folks in their gang.....but they then have to know where to find the ingredients. Venture too far out of your comfort zone and you lose the ability to properly defend yourself if you don't have the skills. So I say after 1 year, even up to 18 months, those of us who are SS with skills will survive to start anew.

As you can see, the key word in all of these scenarios is skills.

old fashioned

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We too have alot of those books. And I'm always looking for items that would come in handy. I'm also thinking of having the boys share a room, so I can have the other for storage. I'm just not sure how that is going to go over with them yet. Especially since they fight so much already.
I've been noticing lately that even DH has been more SS minded. Not all gungho(?), but little things. Maybe he's finally coming around. But then again, maybe not :rolleyes: Not only him, but it's almost like "things are starting to come together" if you know what I'm trying to say here.
I have been looking closer at what we have in terms of stuff, skills, relationships with others, etc. I hate to say it but I've been looking at people I know or meet as future barter potentials. Is that terrible or what?

rty007

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
OK, even though I admit I am not to much taken by this prediction... BUT better safe then sorry, AND it is kind of a part of a preparation for my SS farm living time to come anyways. I am printing some books, in a small format ( 1/4 A4 page is one page of the book. Then I cut it up, laminate it (to waterproof it) then I put it on a key ring making a book, which is very idiot-proof and easy to handle. My cook-friend showed me this way of handling information, he has recipes on a keyring like that. The great thing is you can even keep one of those on a ... lanyard, and you can add to it as you learn new recipes, about new herbs and so on.

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
old fashioned said:
eta-psssst, I want the jeep thingy painted pink with flowers of course! :lol:
I have seen pink camouflage before, but I don't think it has flowers in the pattern. Can we please paint it a color that is a LITTLE bit easier to hide? :gig

On Our own

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Gotta question for those of you who have been prepping for years: Have you noticed that not only are more and more people getting prepped, but even other people don't look at you quite so much like your crazy like they used to??

People used to look at me like I was fifty cent short on a dollar, but now many of them ask questions or say they think it is good but that they're not prepared........

I think this is a good thing, but I worry some about the acceptance.

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
I have mentioned this before, but this thread is a good place to do it again.

I began prepping, not coincidentally, about one year ago exactly. I have food, water, toiletries and hygiene items, medicines, non electric tools, and security measures for eight people (parents, daughter's family and self) at this point to last quite a bit longer than a year. (Still need a lot more water, but have to build storage first.) I continue to can and get free or super low cost food.

I have access to a very large supply of ordnance.

I have been saving for a significant solar generator, and am almost there. This will be primarily for fridge and freezer, perhaps a light or two.

I have emergency communication capabilities, which are solar powered.

Most recently, I have begun searching for a semi distant secondary or "bug out" location. I will be storing preps there, and it will be close enough that we all can get there easily, even without motorized transportation.

My garden plans are going well. So far, I have four 4x16 raised beds, two of which are planted, and will be building three more fairly soon. If we make it another year I will be doubling my garden space by taking out a large backyard lawn.

I can cook without smoke or aroma. I can bake bread, but I don't have a manual wheat grinder yet.

If I did not live on one of the busiest streets in town, I would have already buried a railroad container outfitted similar to a bomb shelter. I had the chance to get one free...but no way to dig inconspicuously.

I have tons and tons of tinfoil. :gig

meriruka

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Ldychef2k said:
I have been saving for a significant solar generator, and am almost there. This will be primarily for fridge and freezer, perhaps a light or two.
How do you figure out how much power you would need? I would need to run the well pump, the fridge & an electric heater.......