Wife needs to stop sending me to town

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
And here my wife wants ducks, when we got wild hatchling geeze roaming around the property.

IMG_20210508_130711071~3.jpg

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Free bird flu and other infectious diseases that will get your flock destroyed by the government. That happened a couple years ago to a few poultry people I know. It's going around again this year. I cant remember how long you can't have any poultry either.

Daisy

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
My dogs were taught the command "geese!" Which means chase those poop machines off the property. They respond immediately.
My mum taught our old dog "crows!" And she'd belt out the door to chase them off.

farmerjan

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Yes, free fertilizer, but make sure you don't have to walk anywhere they have recently been. They make a mess and the fertilizer is very messy.
The sad thing is that they travel so much that they do pickup and carry diseases. We hated the Canada geese when I was a kid in CT, they would mess up the lawn and banks of the pond at the house, eat everything they could get into in the gardens. They also got quite aggressive with us, protecting the young I understand, but they were not liked on our small ponds.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yes, free fertilizer, but make sure you don't have to walk anywhere they have recently been. They make a mess and the fertilizer is very messy.
The sad thing is that they travel so much that they do pickup and carry diseases. We hated the Canada geese when I was a kid in CT, they would mess up the lawn and banks of the pond at the house, eat everything they could get into in the gardens. They also got quite aggressive with us, protecting the young I understand, but they were not liked on our small ponds.
I think coyotes are a lot more destructive than wild geeze. It's best to wear rubber boots and watch out for the yellow poo is what I say to visitors. I have to laugh to myself when they show up in tennis shoes (city folks). I.mean seriously what protection is a tennis shoe gonna give you from a copperhead? It's just one of the many joys of living the country life. But I'll take it over town life any day : 😂

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We have garter snakes and there is the possibility of rubber boas way out back. No dangerous snakes here.

Coyotes are annoying and why everyone is behind good fences at night. The dogs have beat up a couple over the years.

Deer and elk are very destructive of trees here.

I found that not mowing by the pond in spring helps reduce the geese coming on the property. Tall grass hinders goslings so they go elsewhere.

Messybun

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thank you for this thread! I never knew how to accurately sex chicks. Now I know earlier that I get 80% roosters! Lol. My tscs used to have just cattle panels around the Chicks, now one has a full metal dog cage with a roof so you can’t climb over! You also aren’t allowed to touch the chicks unless they’re yours. Ugh. I saw one with a dislocated leg. It hopped off the waterer and got out of joint. Not that uncommon. I told the guy I could probably put it back in joint, or at least try so it doesn’t just suffer and die. Nope, not allowed. Anyway, good luck chasing away the gypsy geese!