Winter already?

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Thanks for the better picture of the axe. I was going to ask for one.
That looks like it would work great! nice find.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We don't have y'all's winter, but we still have rainy, wet, cold. It's been raining for 2 weeks, feel like it's about time to start building the ark. Going to have 2 days of no rain, then more rain for another week. :barnie

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We don't have y'all's winter, but we still have rainy, wet, cold. It's been raining for 2 weeks, feel like it's about time to start building the ark. Going to have 2 days of no rain, then more rain for another week. :barnie

Sigh....yep

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score

We've been like that all spring and summer, Bay. Fall hasn't been too rainy yet, but I expect fall to be rainy. I just looked at our forecast and after tomorrow's rain we aren't supposed to have any for the next 5-6 days!!!! Sunny skies! :weee :celebrate :ya :weeeSo badly needed right now, as I have so very much to do outside.

henless

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score

Yep. Like Bay said. :) Looks like we have quite a bit more in store for us tonight.

It's also been on the cold side this past week. Lows in the 40's here.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Hi Henless! Welcome from Texas. Where abouts are you located? (not asking for specifics - just your general area).

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Got a little sunburn on my face today! Started out in the 20s and ended up at 60*, got to work out in the sun all day long. :celebrate

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I really like your barrel stove it looks like it belongs against the logs in the corner.

Talor water stoves were manufactured not far from where I used to live in North Carolina. It wasn't uncommon to see a talor water stove sitting between two houses. It would heat both houses and also supply hot water year round to both houses as well. It's called a water stove because it has a jacket in-between the fire box and outside shell that heats water. The water is then pumped into the house into a tank and can then be pumped through baseboard radiators to heat rooms or used as tap water. I never owned a taylor water stove so I don't have any personal experience using one, but my friends that had them absolutely loved them. The only drawback was you had to go outside to stoke the stove. But i seen a large stove that you can load a pallet full of wood into with a tractor or yard lift that would burn for well over a week straight although I'm not sure if that was a taylor brand or not.

https://www.taylor-waterstoves.com

I guess you could think of it as an outdoor boiler kind of thing.

Last edited:

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Nope, never saw anything like that! We have outside wood burning furnaces all around these parts but I've never seen anything as massive as that Taylor stove. A double pass like he has costs anywhere from $6.5K to $10.5K....that's more than I've ever paid for a car!

I could see that paying off if several homes shared it and there were big families that used a lot of hot water and also many, many hands to gather in that much wood. But a single family dwelling? That's a huge overkill.