Winter already?

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
She's been with my man Stanley since March I think? Since spring anyway. And she's in heat today. She looks yummy :( (and he's had many many litters so it's not him)

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Is she really fat? I've heard that if they get really overweight that their fertility goes down...

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Nope. If anything she was underweight when we got her. She looks perfect now. She has farrowed once before, but she was in with Stanley for 9 months before she was bred, and had surprise winter piglets. That was in February. She had zero evidence of a heat cycle all summer, and is now coming into heat for the second time this fall. So... seasonal pig? Lol

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Quote:

Speaking to the Express, Piers Corbyn of WeatherAction also confirmed that we are in for severe snowfall: “We are expecting some quite severe snowfall before the end of this month and it will not just be confined to the far north, this could reach parts of the midlands or even further south.

"This spell of very cold weather looks like bringing substantial snow to a more widespread area of the country than people would necessarily expect at this time of year."

End quote

I'm hearing talks of we might see snow before Halloween this year, which is unheard of for us! It's gone chilly over the last 2 days, so anything's possible...

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Quote:

Speaking to the Express, Piers Corbyn of WeatherAction also confirmed that we are in for severe snowfall: “We are expecting some quite severe snowfall before the end of this month and it will not just be confined to the far north, this could reach parts of the midlands or even further south.

"This spell of very cold weather looks like bringing substantial snow to a more widespread area of the country than people would necessarily expect at this time of year."

End quote

I'm hearing talks of we might see snow before Halloween this year, which is unheard of for us! It's gone chilly over the last 2 days, so anything's possible...

Sumi, do the snows get deep in your area?

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
@Beekissed Some winters we don't get snow at all, the rest of the time we get a dusting and the higher elevations may get up to 2-3 inches, which melts within a day or 3. In February/March this year we had our biggest snowfall in more than 30 years:

IMG_1439.jpg

This ^^ is extreme for us!

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Long term forecasters are saying we may get a second "Beast from the east" with heavy snow fall like pictured above. Last year we had early snow in December already. This year they are talking about snow at the end of October?!? That's unheard of here. If we get snow it's usually in January or February only.