Winter already?

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I broke down and bought both The Old Farmers Almanac 2019 and Blum's Farmer's and Planter's Almanac 2019. So far the Old Farmers Almanac has been a bust. According to them, this week is supposed to be "very-cold" and we are forecast for 34 today, 36 tomorrow, and 40 degrees on Saturday. The low of 8 on Tuesday morning was cold, but not "very-cold" by any means. For me, very cold is when our temps reach -30.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Mom uses CBD oil. It has a very small amount of THC in the one she gets. It helps with the nerve pain and leg cramps she gets. Not even enough to mellow her, much less get her high. She likes not waking up screaming from the leg cramps at night.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
We dipped to around freezing a time or two, but our daytime temperatures are still lovely and mild. I did see something on my Google newsfeed on my phone this morning about "Ireland may see snow before end October" o_O Closer inspection of that craziness said the tallest mountains in the most northern counties only, but still, whoa with the snow, people!

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We were low 50 last night, 61 right now and should go up another 5 or so degrees. mid to low 40s said to be for rest of week with mid-hi 60 days. close to average here.

NOT wanting winter yet. NOT!!! Would love current temps to hang around for another 6 months -- then right into Spring :D I could deal with that.

henless

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We don't have y'all's winter, but we still have rainy, wet, cold. It's been raining for 2 weeks, feel like it's about time to start building the ark. Going to have 2 days of no rain, then more rain for another week. :barnie

Yep. Like Bay said. :) Looks like we have quite a bit more in store for us tonight.

It's also been on the cold side this past week. Lows in the 40's here.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I really like your barrel stove it looks like it belongs against the logs in the corner.

Talor water stoves were manufactured not far from where I used to live in North Carolina. It wasn't uncommon to see a talor water stove sitting between two houses. It would heat both houses and also supply hot water year round to both houses as well. It's called a water stove because it has a jacket in-between the fire box and outside shell that heats water. The water is then pumped into the house into a tank and can then be pumped through baseboard radiators to heat rooms or used as tap water. I never owned a taylor water stove so I don't have any personal experience using one, but my friends that had them absolutely loved them. The only drawback was you had to go outside to stoke the stove. But i seen a large stove that you can load a pallet full of wood into with a tractor or yard lift that would burn for well over a week straight although I'm not sure if that was a taylor brand or not.

https://www.taylor-waterstoves.com

I guess you could think of it as an outdoor boiler kind of thing.

Last edited:

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Nope, never saw anything like that! We have outside wood burning furnaces all around these parts but I've never seen anything as massive as that Taylor stove. A double pass like he has costs anywhere from $6.5K to $10.5K....that's more than I've ever paid for a car!

I could see that paying off if several homes shared it and there were big families that used a lot of hot water and also many, many hands to gather in that much wood. But a single family dwelling? That's a huge overkill.