Winter already?

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
It is, yes, but our summers, though humid, is not hot at all. 80F is considered "hot" here. We have a wonderful, mild climate most of the time.

Now I KNOW I want to move to your country!!!! Mild winters but still the occasional snow, mild summers, all that green and rolling country, beautiful from one end to the other. You are very blessed!!!

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Now I KNOW I want to move to your country!!!! Mild winters but still the occasional snow, mild summers, all that green and rolling country, beautiful from one end to the other. You are very blessed!!!
Oh, we are blessed! According to Wikipedia:

"January and February are the coldest months of the year, and mean daily air temperatures fall between 4 and 7 °C (39.2 and 44.6 °F) during these months. July and August are the warmest, with mean daily temperatures of 14 to 16 °C (57.2 to 60.8 °F), whilst mean daily maximums in July and August vary from 17 to 18 °C (62.6 to 64.4 °F) near the coast, to 19 to 20 °C (66.2 to 68.0 °F) inland. The sunniest months are May and June, with an average of five to seven hours sunshine per day.[4] Though extreme weather events in Ireland are comparatively rare when compared with other countries in the European Continent, they do occur. Atlantic depressions, occurring mainly in the months of December, January and February, can occasionally bring winds of up to 160 km/h or 99 mph to Western coastal counties, with the winter of 2013/14 being the stormiest on record.[5] During the summer months, and particularly around late July/early August, thunderstorms can develop."

Now you see why we panic when it goes up to 80F or start to snow ;)

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
As you age and your skin & fat layers thin, you do not tolerate extremes as well. I know that if I get chilled it takes a good amount to get warmed back up. So I do wear long johns most all winter. Don't like to walk around shivering.

It's been 40-45 most mornings here, of late, but inside it's in the 64 range. I can deal with that but, lower & I'm not comfy. Generally I turn a small heater on for an hour, cut the chill, then off. Same in evening when I get home from work -- on with heat, out to do chores, back in and heat generally off. That will change in another month! Light heat longer & pilot on propane 24/7 makes it ok most of the time. Jan/Feb, heat!! I like 70-72 winter & 74-75 summer, inside. Neither is extreme, IMO. I dress accordingly with more/less layers.

Winters my FEET must be in socks. Can't deal with cold feet. I also use a heated mattress cover … so low heat at night in house but, warm bed.

I remember nights in WV at grands...there was no insulation, wood heat via big stove in lvgrm. We had blankets so heavy you could barely move -- hand made quilts. But, you didn't WANT to move because the spot you turned to was so cold. No way to circulate the heat.
Huddle by the fire. Maybe why I loved the kitchen. Smaller room and always warm/hot stove.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
@sumi your winters are about like ours, it snows every years and it's only 2-3".

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Ireland sounds perfect. We get up to 85 (sometimes 90) in the summer and down to -10 (once a winter or so -20) in the winter. It's pretty harsh. Texas winter sounds nice but you can keep your summers!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I remember nights in WV at grands...there was no insulation, wood heat via big stove in lvgrm. We had blankets so heavy you could barely move -- hand made quilts. But, you didn't WANT to move because the spot you turned to was so cold. No way to circulate the heat.
Huddle by the fire. Maybe why I loved the kitchen. Smaller room and always warm/hot stove.

That's when it was nice to have a big family...you always had someone to stay warm with you in the bed. If ya didn't have kids or spouse, you could call in the hounds...hence the three dog night reference. :D

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
My sister rented an old mobile home for a couple of years. When the wind blew really strong, you could see the floor in the hallway do the wave, lol. She had many 3 dog, 2 cat nights in that place.

Wyoming was nice temperature and sunlight wise - the temps in summer were below 90 and the lowest temp in winter was -17 one year. It is sunny 65% of the days. However, the wind is frightful. Winter winds - everyday it was windy - were about 25 minimum and we had sustained winds of 65 mph on many occasions. We had wind gusts over 100 mph while we were out there.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
It's October :confused: We don't normally get weather like this until January!

"The outlook for the bank holiday weekend is looking grim as Met Eireann revealed their latest forecast.

The national forecaster said we will be lashed by heavy showers, freezing temperatures as low as -3C (26.6F), frost and hail and there's also a risk of wintry falls."

(Wintry falls = snow/sleet)

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Bummer winter has arrived in southern IL :( Time to start taking 5000icu of D3, eat a lot of fremented foods and back to horehound and a cup of german chamomile tea every night again. I don't like winter much.

Yes it's snowing! Its very light but still snow - yuck!

Screenshot_2018-11-09-22-49-42.png