Winter Blues

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
I wish we had a fire place or wood stove or anything like that - NOT, we use electric heat and heated blankets at night.

And I don't need more fat - I'm still working on getting rid of last years. :/

I've never tried snow shoes - heck I was lucky to score a pair of kids boots last year to keep my feet from freezing - I really need a good pair of boots, the kids ones now have cracks in the plastic (so much for that $20)

We do have a lovely deck we didn't have last year, perhaps I can wrap up and sit outside for a little each day... heck I will drag my heated blanket out with me - :gig or make some rice bags. (I see you can use corn for those as well, not cracked corn - heck I'll try a scratch bag!)

poppycat

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
All I can offer you, Wildsky, is my sympathy. I live in the Pacific Northwest and it constantly rains here in the winter. That gray sky can get really old, that and the mud. I try to get outside for a brisk walk in the morning, regardless of the weather. That seems to help more that just about anything.

sweetcorn

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Quail_Antwerp wrote
Yes, I get the blues in winter too. I try to read a book, play with the kids, OR I crochet, make a quilt, work on my cross stitches...these are all what I feel are winter crafts
This is how I know winter is coming , I get the urge to go buy yarn and books ! It's already hit this year , lol

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Winter Blues!?? Oh no, not me! When and IF it starts to hit me....which is rare...I start thinking of snakes...skeeters...flies!! Then, winter isnt so bad again! I am a winter person. LOVE IT!! No grass mowing....no bugs..fleas,ticks..UGH..and SPIDERS!! I love to bake...and make the house warm with great smells. Im sitting here right now with long pants under my nightgown...cold feet..cold fingers..and LOVEING IT!!! I know...im wierd..I hear that at least once a week...but thats ok...I LOVE the winter.

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Well I suffer from full blown Seasonal Affective Disorder. During winter I get aches and pains all over...it seriously feels like you're dying of something but don't know what...then comes the huge anxiety and panic attacks...I am so tired all the time, and in so much pain much of the time that I don't feel like leaving the house but I have to or it gets even worse. This winter I am determined to try and get out for a 40 minute walk every day so I can at least get SOME sunshine. I have a "Happy Light" that is meant to sit in front of for 15 minutes morning and afternoon...and I also have an alarm clock that I purchased at a medical supply store. It simulates a sunrise in my bedroom every morning and at least helps to pull me out of bed. It was expensive though $249...
We live in a very dark log home that I can't stand in the winter but every one else just loves! It is very cozy I'll give it that...but I can't live in a cave!
So I dread winter...every winter I have to remind myself that I am not going crazy and that if I can just hold on until spring I won't have to visit the looney bin and be medicated to the hilt:>) Then when spring hits, it hits me harder than anyone I know. I bounce around with so much energy that I want to build houses, go skydiving, buy a motorcycle, order in 500 chickens...haha My poor husband!

heatherv

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I didn't read all the replies... but my son/brother/and father have bi-polar disorder, and the winter blues really hit them hard. My son's psych. (who also suffers from this) recommends putting a light on a timer, in a room close to your bedroom... and have it turn on a couple hours before sunrise. Maybe your closet light? Or a lamp in the hallway outside of your room? It has something to do w/ chemicals in your brain that reacts to it.. even while you're sleeping. I don't know all the logistics of it. But she highly recommends doing it during the dark winter months.

Tanning beds help me! :) It's like a warm mini vacation.. and who doesn't look good w/ a tan? I haven't done it in years, but I sure loved it when I did!

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
I haven't tried vitamin D...I have heard so much about it and I should...but I never remember to take pills...unless I am in agonizing pain and then I will reach for an Advil:>) I should buy some though, I do know that it is vital for health, especially those in Northern climates.

the simple life

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
I always plan home improvement projects for the inside of the house to do over the winter, so maybe that keeps me too busy to dwell much.
My days go by so fast all the time anway, no matter the time of the year.
I love being home with the fire roaring and doing the same things as people mentioned, the baking and all that.
If its been raining for days I usually head to the bookstore for a diversion.By then I need a good book anway.
I love Barnes and Nobles, they have the coffee and pastry section, which is actually a Starbucks and you can get a tea or whatever and snuggle into one of those big comfy chairs and go through the stacks of books and figure out which ones you want.
Its got those relaxing lights and the music.
Other than that, I don't usually go out if its bad weather.
I also stock up on enough supplies that I don't get stressed out if I am out of something and I have to head out in a snow storm, or feel like I am not prepared.
I think it helps to know that I am ready for winter.

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Well being a So.Cal. girl, my version of Winter Blues is very mild if at all

I do enjoy winter, chilly days, warm fires, something yummy in the stove, family snuggled up watching movies together. Since we get so little rain, we all enjoy it when it comes.

I am heavily involved in youth sports with my kids August- Nov. so I enjoy the slow down that comes with the winter months.
This year I would really like to learn how to crochet and knit,maybe bust out my nearly never used sewing machine and learn how to sew.....all skills that any SS woman should possess! I have crocheted before but it has been at least 15 yrs.....gotta find a way/place/ person to learn from....besides MIL (don't ask)

Another thing that brings daily joy to my world is starting seeds and the excitement of them bursting thru the soil :) This is my post Christmas pick-me-up!!