Winter Storm Thread....how deep is your snow?

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
2.5 hours on the tractor, to dig out 4 neighbors and our own driveway. :th :th :th

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
sylvie said:
SKR8PN said:
dennis.....I crawl up the tower every fall and spray the dish with a heavy coat of wax just for such emergencies. :lol:
Are you talking furniture wax? The spray part throws me. Sounds like a good idea. New to Dish, so these little tricks are valuable! :D

ETA- 5 inches, was forecast 1-3" so we went over. Another 1-3" for today. Hope it stays south.
I use a cheap spray car wax, or detailer I think they call it. I have even used spray cooking oil in the past. ANYTHING to keep from climbing the tower in a blinding snow storm just to watch a movie! :gig

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
We have about a foot and a half so far and it is a steady downpour. We are supposed to get more throughout the weekend and more on Tues.~Thurs. of next week.

We were out of power all night and I was thinking....NOW...this is what we all prepare for and am I prepared? Nope....not for an extended outage. Oh, I have kerosene lamps and lanterns but do I have plenty of kerosene stored? No.

I have flashlights....but do I have plenty of extra batteries? Nope. Do I have a way of getting more water once my stored water is gone? Nope, unless I melt some snow, which is a slow and difficult way to make water and it isn't drinkable.

It was really kind of cool how the power went out~never saw anything like this before. The power went off and there was a great aqua blue flash in the whole sky, power went back on, then off and another blue flash and then blackness. It was pretty and dramatic! Out all night...silence and darkness.

I now have found out what wimps my boys are....you would think they were working the chain gang instead of shoveling snow. They've never really had snows deep enough to warrant this much shoveling....what grumbling and groaning, wimping and wussing you've never heard! :smack I did more than that each day when I was as young as 11...which they hate to hear and I repeat often just to irritate them! :lol:

Power was restored this morning after a phone call to the power company.

The Bat said, "Call them."

And I said, " I'm sure someone else has called them by now."

Bat says, "I bet that is what your neighbor is saying right now."

So I called them. Within a half hour a power truck pulls up at a nearby side road and does their thing~magic! Power restored! :celebrate :weee :ya

A word to the unwise from the wise old Bat....keep the number handy and call as soon as power goes out~they may not know your area has an outage. When I called the recording said that 126,000 people were without power in the Allegheny area.

This is just another reason to realize just how dependent we are on an outside power source. I don't know what I would have done without my woodstove. This house is total electric without it.

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
We were out of power all night and I was thinking....NOW...this is what we all prepare for and am I prepared? Nope....not for an extended outage. Oh, I have kerosene lamps and lanterns but do I have plenty of kerosene stored? No.
Similar situation recently- had the kerosene stove that I run on the pipes to keep from freezing. Had the kerosene.
Well, the wick was shot and my pipes froze! Didn't have running water to the bathroom for four days during the near zero temps! Bought a new wick, followed directions in manual and it isn't working properly. Best laid plans, so on, so on.

meriruka

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Wildsky said:
We're probably the only ones prepared and not getting any snow.. :rolleyes: We got about 2 inches overnight on Thursday and more due on Monday, but nothing today - thank goodness, because we're driving 2 hours to pick up our meat, and then 2 hours back. :/
Nothing going on here (South VA) either. 4" of snow yesterday then rain which got rid of the new stuff plus some of the old snow from last week.
I loaded up the poultry pens with food & heated waterers, I baked bread & made soup and was all ready to make a blanket cocoon with the cats and read books for the weekend.

Rats. Kinda feel ripped off. :/
There is still hope, it's going down to 14 tonight so all this mess will freeze........

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
SKR8PN said:
sylvie said:
SKR8PN said:
dennis.....I crawl up the tower every fall and spray the dish with a heavy coat of wax just for such emergencies. :lol:
Are you talking furniture wax? The spray part throws me. Sounds like a good idea. New to Dish, so these little tricks are valuable! :D

ETA- 5 inches, was forecast 1-3" so we went over. Another 1-3" for today. Hope it stays south.
I use a cheap spray car wax, or detailer I think they call it. I have even used spray cooking oil in the past. ANYTHING to keep from climbing the tower in a blinding snow storm just to watch a movie! :gig
Thanks SKR8PN! :thumbsup

bibliophile birds

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
SKR8PN said:
2.5 hours on the tractor, to dig out 4 neighbors and our own driveway.
don't you love being the neighbor with the equipment? during the '93 blizzard we were the only ones on our road with access to a tractor so my dad spent 2 weeks digging people out (the county dept was worthless during that storm). he had to PULL an ambulance from our house about a mile up the mountain and back because there was a baby on a heart monitor they had to go get but they couldn't drive past our driveway.

i'm sure your neighbors sincerely appreciate your help!

everybody stay safe.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I love helping neighbors! That's one of the funnest parts of this kind of thing, helping people out of ditches and such. Feels good! :)

Hattie the Hen

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
:frow :frow

Your snow news is all over our TV News Channels here in the UK .....!! :D

Keep safe & warm everyone! :fl :fl :fl

Hattie

modern_pioneer

Mountain Man
Reaction score
I think I did fine as I was ready back in Oct. of last year for the snow storms. I wasn't ready for all the snow we got as my little tractor just barely handled getting out of the garage.

Jody said the state has declared emergency status anybody caught driving the roads will be fined. Well if I don't driving the areas that they don't. If you recall I told a story about a a woman and kids ina Geo tracker that went up a hill and slid back in the ditch. They had been out there for some time when I stop offered them a ride safely home.

So I will continue to drive those 5 miles during the evening and late night as folks do live back there and may need help.

We were to get only 8/10 inches, Jody said they got over 14, the live across the road 1/8 mile and when I went out I'd say we did some where around that or even more.

I fixed oatmeal pancakes with dried blueberries and headed out to plow which took me 2 hours.

Glad see you have your power back on Bee.