Winter Storm Thread....how deep is your snow?

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
We took a yard stick out to the level part of our yard, and it measured 13 inches of snow. ICK.

The drifts are deeper than that.

Kind of a showing of the times we live in, and how people don't worry about weather conditions.

My friend over the hill, they're nuts. The counties around us are all on Level 3 - meaning you'll be arrested if you're caught on the roads - they plan to go out and try shopping this afternoon! I said, "Are you NUTS?!"

There is NOTHING I'd be going out in this mess for, unless a neighbor needed help, etc. They are going to buy insulation and other things for the addition they are building on to their house! OMG!

Those are NOT necessary items...not at all! I told them that there is a level 3 for the area they want to go shopping in and the reply was, "Well, we're not going to try to go until this afternoon."

Um, she called off work today because the roads were too bad to travel for work, but not too bad for shopping?!

Priorities, people. Priorities!

Ohioann

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Southwestern Columbiana county Ohio...14 inches in yard at 7 AM. Now at noon it has stopped snowing but the wind is blowing snow out of the trees. I looked out this AM and said "It really is pretty with the snow on the trees" and hubby said "OK, you said it. Once is enough". He's not a big fan of snow! I'm just glad that it started on a Friday afternoon. I work for a school and we are running out of snow days. Weather man said we may get more on Wednesday, just in time to let us get dug out from this one. Hubby said that all four donkeys and two sheep were in the barn this morning and just a few footprints out to the water tank which is two feet out side the door! Our box stalls open to the outside too and we leave the doors open so that the beasties can get in/out 24/7. Hope all of you stay safe and warm.

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We got about a foot of wet, heavy snow. Our power went out at 3am, came back on at noon. We were just about to make the decision to go to my sister's for the day when it came on, so glad! Not that I don't love my sister and her family :p
The roads are already clear here due to the temp staying at or above 30, so a huge blessing.
Hope you all are safe and warm!

chipmunk

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Just deluged with rain and wind, here in Georgia. Y'all be careful up there with all that snow, and try to stay dry and bundled up.

Bee, I'm with you about the fun of helping folks out in times like this. I went to college in Blacksburg, VA, where we got lots of snow and ice every winter. It was just part of the comraderie of the town to stop and help get someone unstuck from a ditch, or help them pick up their books and stand up when they lost it on a slippery patch.

inchworm

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Bee - I was wondering how you were getting by when I woke up this morning. Glad your power is back on.

We have about 36" right now (about an hour west of Baltimore and DC). The power here only flicked off for a second.

Dear hubby shoveled a path up to the coop and shoveled out the heat pump. The roof of the run was sagging, but we cleared it before any damage. Sorry about yours, QA.

Haven't heard any vehicle go by since yetserday evening. It will be a couple of days before we get out of here.

Inchworm

dacjohns

Our Frustrated Curmudgeon
Reaction score
Sounds like the snow really hit the fan.

Where I live we got about 2" last night but the roads were still warm and the snow melted quick. On the other side of the county they got about 2 1/2 " of snow and then it rained and froze on top. Not sure what the rest of the area looks like but the paved roads are clear.

It is really wet after the snow from last week melted. Clay soil doesn't drain too well.

The Ohio River is up.

This is why we prepare.

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
I love helping neighbors! That's one of the funnest parts of this kind of thing, helping people out of ditches and such. Feels good! :)
It does feel good, we dont' have all the fancy equipment, but my hubby is on the fire dept, and helps pull people out of ditches and turn their cars right side up !

This year hasn't been bad at all, only a few calls so far... one was a drunk fool who decided to HIDE from the rescue crew because he was drunk! The spent all night in freezing temps going back and forth looking for the idiot! They found him four hours later, and he had sobered up by that point! Dang fool is lucky he didn't freeze to death!

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
Glad to hear that all of you who are affected by this storm are basically OK.

Stay warm and safe.

Bee, what makes you say that you cannot drink the water from melted snow. I'm just asking, because we used to drink it, when I lived in upstate New York. We would just melt it on the wood stove and use it for tea and cooking.

inchworm

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
The snow seems to be tapering off. We only have a few farmers on this road, but they are already out with their tractors doing what they can to make our road passable. Gotta luv em'!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
FD, with all the pollution in the atmosphere, I just hesitate to drink it without some really good filtering system going on. Even boiled it could contain some heavy metals that I wouldn't want.

We used to eat snow all the time when I was young but probably shouldn't have....I don't know.

Our usually very stand-offish neighbor farmer came and plowed out our driveway yesterday! :) :weee :celebrate :ya I gave him a cheery wave and a smile but he was in a heated cab, so I couldn't shout my thanks. Will have to remember this overture, for when he is trying to move cattle into his trucks and needs help. I have been too timid to offer help before, as he seemed very reserved and forbidding to us outsiders.

The snow has stopped and the sky was full of stars last night, the snow is a glittery diamond expanse this morning....simply lovely! Shades of blue, lavender and pink in all the dips and hollows. :love

We are supposed to get single digit temps tonight and more snow on Tues, Wed. and Thurs. Since we already had about 6-8 in. on the ground when this started, I can't really be sure of the final tally today.

Last night the phones were out, just a crackling on the lines for a long while.

Glad everyone else is doing okay but I worry about UTC...she is in the middle and thick of this storm and has probably really gotten a yardful.