Winter Storm Thread....how deep is your snow?

Organics North

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I can relate to valmom, on all the storms tracking south.

Several years running know, less snow storms in the Lake Superior snow belt than down south in Chicago.

At least or temps have been cold to steady (Which is normal for us), maybe one day since November that the thermometer edged above freezing. So the snow we have is still on the ground. Leaving us with a decent base of a coupe of feet.

For all you folks getting snow that are not accustom to it.. Be safe and slow down, it is just snow!
ON

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
I just attempted to walk to the road to check for the paper. How foolish of me! There is a 3ft deep drift, almost completely blocking the back door. There is a white Chrysler 300 M setting in the drive for me to work on Monday......and it is completely covered! :th
I shall try to get pictures later. I have to dig out TWO cars and move them before I can even THINK about getting the tractor out to plow the driveway with. :th
Oh...and it is still snowing like crazy!

Update. We are at a level 2 emergency and are expecting another 10-12 inches TODAY. Sounds like a great day to stay in the house and drink Coffee with Irish Creme and play on the 'puter. :celebrate

dennis60

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
WOW, 40 inches of snow. Yep i heard it was coming to the atlantic coast. Hope all stays well for you.....
We had about 3 inches of snow here yesterday. Then our satelitte internet went out. I called teck support and worked with them for an hour trying to fix it. Finally they said they would send a teck for $125 and we might need a new modem, which would cost more. I said no thanks, i have to think it over. So i went out and there was snow on the internet dish. I took a small broom and cloth and gently removed the snow, and YEAH!, the modem started working again. Just a heads up if your satelitte modem goes out, it could be the snow on it.....
best of luck.....this too will pass.....

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
dennis.....I crawl up the tower every fall and spray the dish with a heavy coat of wax just for such emergencies. :lol:

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
dennis60 said:
WOW, 40 inches of snow. Yep i heard it was coming to the atlantic coast. Hope all stays well for you.....
We had about 3 inches of snow here yesterday. Then our satelitte internet went out. I called teck support and worked with them for an hour trying to fix it. Finally they said they would send a teck for $125 and we might need a new modem, which would cost more. I said no thanks, i have to think it over. So i went out and there was snow on the internet dish. I took a small broom and cloth and gently removed the snow, and YEAH!, the modem started working again. Just a heads up if your satelitte modem goes out, it could be the snow on it.....
best of luck.....this too will pass.....
:welcome Thanks for the warning!

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
SKR8PN said:
dennis.....I crawl up the tower every fall and spray the dish with a heavy coat of wax just for such emergencies. :lol:
Are you talking furniture wax? The spray part throws me. Sounds like a good idea. New to Dish, so these little tricks are valuable! :D

ETA- 5 inches, was forecast 1-3" so we went over. Another 1-3" for today. Hope it stays south.

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Yup, we are getting it too, tho not as bad as some of you's! I think we are to get 3 to 5 inches. psha! Nothing to worry about...well..unless your FROM here, and freak out every time they even mention snow! Right now we have about 2 inches...and its still snowing..I think its pretty, but dread going out there to feed animals. I think I have the flu...I just want my fire, a blankey, and tea! :(

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
I had to go dig my piggies out! :hit Their kennel bowed in from the weight of the snow!

I was freaking OUT! I thought they were buried in the drifts....and dead....nope...they were snug as bugs in rugs in their house.

Cleaned it up as best as I could. And took pics.

Will load them up in a bit.

Oh, and our power did flash out for a split second, then came right back on, about 30 minutes ago.

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
We're probably the only ones prepared and not getting any snow.. :rolleyes: We got about 2 inches overnight on Thursday and more due on Monday, but nothing today - thank goodness, because we're driving 2 hours to pick up our meat, and then 2 hours back. :/

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
Pics from this morning...

pinetree.jpg

ourvan.jpg

chickencoop.jpg

Notice the piggie kennel...it's totally buckled, and the piggies were at risk of being buried alive by the snow that was weighing down netting that covered the run.

pigkennel.jpg

insidekennelwall.jpg

insidepigkennel.jpg

piggiessafe.jpg

I got the netting cleaned off, so no more snow hanging over their heads, but I hafta go back out and shovel out the foot of snow in their kennel.