Wisconsin Roll Call

Smart Red

Lovin' The Homestead
Joined
Jan 10, 2012
Messages
119
Reaction score
28
Points
93
Location
Wisconsin
me&thegals said:
Hi--half hour out of Madison. :)
Which way? My daughter's family is in Mount Horeb, so I'm going near Madison on a regular basis. 'Sides, my fave store in the world is Orange Tree. Gotta have an excuse to stop as often as possible.

Love, Smart Red (aka Linn Bee) Gardening zone 5a - 4b in south-est, central-est Wisconsin
 

Tatter

Power Conserver
Joined
Jan 10, 2012
Messages
79
Reaction score
0
Points
28
Location
Hamburg, WI
Hello Seven Hens Farm...yep, Edgar is about a 20 minute drive depending on what roads I take :)

Dawn419 the biggest problem with building a herbal garden is figuring out what grows in what zones, then on top of that, figuring out what grows in the different soils and how much sun the plants need. I have filtered sun, so my pickings are few and far between, but I'm finding that Zone 5 plants do grow pretty well in Zone 4. I guess (am not at all knowledgeable in these plants) herbs tend to be more robust than that of veggies and fruits.

Thanks for the welcomes :)
 

Dawn419

Almost Self-Reliant
Joined
Jan 7, 2009
Messages
1,642
Reaction score
4
Points
114
Location
Evening Shade, AR
Smart Red said:
As long as the BYC is down, I might as well explore other sites suggested by BYC. So. . . here I am. This is my second group on self-sufficiency. I am trying to be as self-reliant as possible here on my piece of the planet. This sounds like a perfect match for me.

Love, Smart Red (aka Linn Bee) Gardening zone 5a - 4b in south-est, central-est Wisconsin
Hello and Welcome to the forum! :frow

Glad you decided to visit and hope you'll stick around!



Edited to add:

Tatter,

Our "soil" is mostly rock with some clay here in the Ozarks. In our 2 years out here, I've had better luck with growing herbs than I did back in TN with amended clay soil. I don't understand it at all but ain't gonna look this "gift horse" in the mouth...that's for sure! :gig
 

Tatter

Power Conserver
Joined
Jan 10, 2012
Messages
79
Reaction score
0
Points
28
Location
Hamburg, WI
Dawn419 said:
Smart Red said:
As long as the BYC is down, I might as well explore other sites suggested by BYC. So. . . here I am. This is my second group on self-sufficiency. I am trying to be as self-reliant as possible here on my piece of the planet. This sounds like a perfect match for me.

Love, Smart Red (aka Linn Bee) Gardening zone 5a - 4b in south-est, central-est Wisconsin
Hello and Welcome to the forum! :frow

Glad you decided to visit and hope you'll stick around!



Edited to add:

Tatter,

Our "soil" is mostly rock with some clay here in the Ozarks. In our 2 years out here, I've had better luck with growing herbs than I did back in TN with amended clay soil. I don't understand it at all but ain't gonna look this "gift horse" in the mouth...that's for sure! :gig
My soil is clay as well, but that soil is very rich, hence I never have to add fertilizer. So far, what herbs I do have have (rosemary, parsley, lavender, catnip, oregano, sweet woodruff, tansy and French Tarragon) grow very well which is a huge surprise to me. Out here in farm country, I figured the only thing that would grow would be corn LOL. So maybe there is hope yet to get my herb garden going :) If something works, leave it alone, don't dive into asking why and maybe, just maybe, it will keep working ;)
 

GhostRider65

Power Conserver
Joined
Apr 1, 2011
Messages
20
Reaction score
0
Points
26
Location
NE Wisconsin
Just saying hey ya'all..
I'm a Wisconsinite too 40 miles W. of GB middle of nowhere, I have that little piece of country everyone wants and it ain't big enough hehehe we actually want to move farther North, more land 40 acres or so.... here we have 3/4 and rent 3 from the neighbor for our horses, I have chickens 21 to be exact, 4 dogs 2 cats, a decent garden and several beds made of old tractor tires, they work great......... so anyone wanting to move LOL look me up we are 27 miles N of Appleton, 18 miles south Of Shawno, 30 miles East of Waupaca, and as stated 40 miles West of GB. It's nice out here but we really need more land and wish to start a larger homestead. Kim
 

Tatter

Power Conserver
Joined
Jan 10, 2012
Messages
79
Reaction score
0
Points
28
Location
Hamburg, WI
GhostRider65 said:
Just saying hey ya'all..
I'm a Wisconsinite too 40 miles W. of GB middle of nowhere, I have that little piece of country everyone wants and it ain't big enough hehehe we actually want to move farther North, more land 40 acres or so.... here we have 3/4 and rent 3 from the neighbor for our horses, I have chickens 21 to be exact, 4 dogs 2 cats, a decent garden and several beds made of old tractor tires, they work great......... so anyone wanting to move LOL look me up we are 27 miles N of Appleton, 18 miles south Of Shawno, 30 miles East of Waupaca, and as stated 40 miles West of GB. It's nice out here but we really need more land and wish to start a larger homestead. Kim
How many miles from Wausau are you? Seems like everyone is no where near anyone else LOL!!! Moving North? I'd love to live in the Driftless area...excellent soil down that way, cheap taxes, very private land due to the hills.
 

GhostRider65

Power Conserver
Joined
Apr 1, 2011
Messages
20
Reaction score
0
Points
26
Location
NE Wisconsin
Tatter said:
GhostRider65 said:
Just saying hey ya'all..
I'm a Wisconsinite too 40 miles W. of GB middle of nowhere, I have that little piece of country everyone wants and it ain't big enough hehehe we actually want to move farther North, more land 40 acres or so.... here we have 3/4 and rent 3 from the neighbor for our horses, I have chickens 21 to be exact, 4 dogs 2 cats, a decent garden and several beds made of old tractor tires, they work great......... so anyone wanting to move LOL look me up we are 27 miles N of Appleton, 18 miles south Of Shawno, 30 miles East of Waupaca, and as stated 40 miles West of GB. It's nice out here but we really need more land and wish to start a larger homestead. Kim
How many miles from Wausau are you? Seems like everyone is no where near anyone else LOL!!! Moving North? I'd love to live in the Driftless area...excellent soil down that way, cheap taxes, very private land due to the hills.
I checked it on google because I wasn't sure, but more than I figured, 70 miles, when we move if we move it will be near Ladysmith I think closer..Kim
 

Tatter

Power Conserver
Joined
Jan 10, 2012
Messages
79
Reaction score
0
Points
28
Location
Hamburg, WI
Oh yes, Ladysmith is just up yonder, NW of me...they get a lot of storms up through that area (just what you wanted to hear huh?) Ricelake, Gilman, Phillips.
 

GhostRider65

Power Conserver
Joined
Apr 1, 2011
Messages
20
Reaction score
0
Points
26
Location
NE Wisconsin
I don't mind storms at all its the 50 below I hate. I'm getting too old to keep warm in that cold stuff, actually love that area, and we have several patches of land to look at up that way come spring maybe we can have a breakfast meet or something hehe........ I like to meet people with similar interests as us, we also love our ATV and 4 wheeling the trails up north there..... we camp my Mountain a lot, but that is way east of you, so not sure if you know where that is, near LakeWood.
 

Tatter

Power Conserver
Joined
Jan 10, 2012
Messages
79
Reaction score
0
Points
28
Location
Hamburg, WI
I know where lakewood is. Sure we can do breakfast. Ladysmith is about an hours drive. If you can handle the storms you'll be fine. I know a few people from Gilman who moved south as they had enough of the wicked weather.
 

Latest posts

Top