Would the FDA close down your kitchen?

delia_peterson

Covered in Compost
Reaction score
:hide I found a big box of 20-30 indiv lunch bag size Doritos in the dumpster at Family Dollar, they were 2 weeks past expiration date...yep, brought them home and ate them.

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I used to dive for avocados at the local grocer. Produce manager thought that dark, slightly soft avos had gone bad, so they only kept the bright green, super hard ones.

They put them out in cardboard boxes, similar to banana boxes.
Guacamole & salsamole for days :rolleyes:

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
Hmm. Interesting Sally. According to their definitions, many of us have partaken in Freeganism.

Can't say I've eaten food from the garbage, as I rarely encounter garbages that other people use (aside from dumpster diving, but haven't found any food yet), but I suppose eating road kill would classify? :lol:

:hide

UnsophisticatedFarmGirl

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I am a newbie to this site and this is one that I am so glad I am posting too, what a hoot all these were and like ya'll our home would be guilty too and shut down with out even a warning..

*Counter Jumping Cats

* Mice hiding out in the cupboards

*Dog licking the floor for leftovers and dishwashing..

* Our chickens are pasture raised

* We dont have high temp hot water and our water comes from a well

JEANNIE

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
UnsophisticatedFarmGirl said:
I am a newbie to this site and this is one that I am so glad I am posting too, what a hoot all these were and like ya'll our home would be guilty too and shut down with out even a warning..

*Counter Jumping Cats

* Mice hiding out in the cupboards

*Dog licking the floor for leftovers and dishwashing..

* Our chickens are pasture raised

* We dont have high temp hot water and our water comes from a well

JEANNIE
:welcome

Love the username!

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
I've eaten with people before that liked to dumpster dive for food. It's a safe bet that some of it was dived. I didn't ask questions- but stayed healthy. I've dived for boxes when moving and gotten lots of "curb treasure" before.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Freeganism? Love that term! When I was a kid my father had a cleaning business and did the floors weekly at a local grocery store. He would bring home boxes of produce trimmings and such, you know, the outer lettuce and cabbage leaves and produce that was getting yucky. We had meat rabbits and goats and loooooong winters and it was so good for the critters.

Of course, the very first time he did this, he noticed how much GOOD food was in those boxes. So once a week or so we would all gather around the kitchen table and sort. One box held stuff for the critters, one was trash (small box! and we didn't have chickens), one was for the fridge, and one was "use immediately" and often contained strawberries that needed trimming. Ohhhh, I loved it when there were strawberries!