Would the FDA close down your kitchen?

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
Oh man, I just finished a lengthy reply about the status of my kitchen and the stupid computer froze up and it all got lost. :somad

The short of is, I'm with you all, or as my grandmother used to say: clean enough to be healthy, dirty enough to be happy!

I got cats, dog, chickens and the occasional rabbit in the house. People washing up in the kitchen, things on the counter that don't belong.
Hair cutting, barn shoes, fermenting stuff,compost, all of that happens in my kitchen.

Yet, I really like having my kitchen very clean, but I still woudn't pass an FDA inspection.

DeafMomof4

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
FDA will close my kitchen down in a HEART BEAT! 1 look is all it will take!

We have roaches but only cuz a friend moved in a year ago for a month and brought them with her! We are still fighting those nasties! We have lizards crawling in our kitchen, they come in from under the crack of the back door.
Laundry basket...wide open... *whistling*

I put my turtle in the kitchen sink when Im cleaning out his tank.
DD2 given bath in the sink before but not now, no way that 18 month old big girl can fit in a tiny sink!
I have NO cabnets, just walmart shelves that we baught for $30 each.

Dishes are sometimes left in the sink for a night...or 2...or maybe 3 days....:hide
Exactly like some have said, if it doesn't look bad, smell bad, then it's not bad.
Stove doesn't work...unless you light it.

I dont have cats due to DD2 being allergic but we got 2 dogs that do the "rinsing" for me before my 4 year old SON puts them in the dishwasher.

No sanitizer...just plain dish soap...use pine sol sometimes...bleach hhhhmmmmm sometimes.

No wood cutting board, I do have 3 white plastic ones but they are used for multiple uses.

Hubby washes his filthy oil covered hands in my sink after working on cars. Not something I approve of but...MEN!

shall I go on? :plbb

Up-the-Creek

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I like to keep my kitchen "tidy" :hide. I refuse to have a dishwasher in my house because I do not think they get my dishes clean enough,.. I do not leave any food out overnight, except sometimes I forget to refrigerate the eggs for the day. Leftovers,...2 days tops, then they go to my animals. I use bleach everyday, if i don't, it dont seem clean to me. My kitchen sinks is not to be used by anyone for any purpose, like handwashing, animals, or anything "gross". That is what the bathroom is for, and no, no animals in my house. Especially in my kitchen. I am very picky over my kitchen area,...I do not like anyone in my kitchen cooking or cleaning,...just myself. I blame it all on my mother,..she made me this way! :gig But by no means is it passable for the FDA. Last week we processed two deer in my kitchen,....oh and a few squirrels. :D

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
UTC, my mother taught me ultra cleanliness also.....and now the poor thing lives with me and is having to adjust her ideas of living. :D

She now has to contend with tracked in farm residues, the occasional visit from a furry animal, occasional laziness and slovenliness from myself, etc.

Poor thing is liable to go nuts trying to bleach everything! :lol:

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Oh, mothers! Mine was/is a complete neat freak, and I really fight this in myself. She used to literally crawl around behind us (and sometimes even company!!) wiping up crumbs. The phrase my mom used more than any other was "Take your shoes off!!!!"

Still, I've given up bleach except a few occasions and I try hard to live with a little mess. There are more interesting things to do in life than clean!

My sinks, though, have to be clean. And all egg washing has been moved to the laundry room sink. It's too hard all summer to keep veggie washing and egg washing safe for sales of each, so we now have a designated egg sink.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
My fil is the biggest ocd neat freak there is. When hubbs was young, the first thing his dad said to him when he came in the house was--did you wash your hands? When he and I were dating, we went for dinner at his folks place and since we rode on the motor bike, we were not allowed to sit on the cloth covered dining room chairs--we might have transferred road dirt to them so they brought in the kitchen chairs which could have been wiped off. so many more stories....

So, I imagine he has anxiety attacks about coming over here. I like things clean, neat and tidy, but there is more to life than a clean house or kitchen. And when the weather is nice, there is stuff to be done during the day, the housework can wait till its dark or raining. Thats my theory anyways.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I have a cup sitting on my kitchen counter marked "POOP." In it I have five baggies, each marked with a goat's name, and a handful of turds....that I collected with my bare hand. It is easier to catch them as they come out that way.

I will be running fecals tonight on that same kitchen counter, after making supper but before milking.

:D

Grandma Goldie

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Is it against FDA rules to let your cat lay across your shoulders while you cook and wash dishes? :rolleyes: