Would the FDA close down your kitchen?

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
Once as a child I forgot to take my laundry out of the bathroom to the laundry and place it IN the washing machine so no one else had to touch it. My mother lifted it up with the handle of a broom and walked to the garage holding her nose and making gagging noise.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Moms....well, mine has no problems that I can see...LOL

I wish I was more easy going like her. Clean house all the time, never overdone---never underdone.

Hmm...why didn't I get that level headed easy going trait from my Mom?

Nothing bothers her. I wish I was like that.

Now Tony's Mom---Can we say HOARDER.....UGH----I will not eat anything she brings over. Her kitchen is clean, kinda...but packed full of pack rat stuff to the ceiling...the type that doesn't have ONE INCH to spare on a counter literally......I can't handle it!!!

old fashioned

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Personally I think "clean" is overrated! :p
I do like some order in my house, but I don't clean everything everyday. Luckily the cat and chickens are outdoors. When we've had indoor cats in the past I wouldn't let them on the dining table or kitchen counters. I do dishes by hand during the day, but will leave supper/snack dishes till the next day. Usually I start early in the day and leaving the water so I can wash as I need too. But once I've fixed supper, I'm done. I'd rather be outside, weather and/or energy level permitting or inside planning my next outside chore.
Unless it's canning season, then I go a bit overboard. My kitchen is mine all mine-enter at your own risk of life and limb. At best I'll throw out some cereal, bread, lunchmeat, etc so they will stay out cause I don't have time to worry about meals/snacks when I'm canning and surely don't want dirty hands or feet tracking thru or touching of the foodstuffs, jars or lids or smearing something on the counter. :barnie Not to mention the fact that I only can by water bath and I do more than just jam, fruit and pickles. In other words, not only would they close me down but lock me up and throw away the key.
As for my mom......well......I plead the 5th on account of self incrimination. :D

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
My mom had a plaque that was in dutch hanging in her kitchen. It translated to "My house is clean enough to be healthy, and dirty enough to be happy".

I think I took those words to heart, b/c that is my theory on house cleanliness.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
hwillm1977 said:
Grandma Goldie said:
Is it against FDA rules to let your cat lay across your shoulders while you cook and wash dishes? :rolleyes:
That's fine, as long as you can get the cat to wear a hairnet :)
I try not to snicker when I see the guys working at the local deli wearing beard nets!

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
miss_thenorth said:
My mom had a plaque that was in dutch hanging in her kitchen. It translated to "My house is clean enough to be healthy, and dirty enough to be happy".

I think I took those words to heart, b/c that is my theory on house cleanliness.
What common sense middle ground! My mom always said "Moderation in all things," but she forgot to apply her own wisdom to cleaning. :D

Latest posts