Would the FDA close down your kitchen?

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Depends on the local laws. You are supposed to use diluted bleach here...or at least that was the law last time I worked in a kitchen.

dipence71

Got the t-shirt
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
Depends on the local laws. You are supposed to use diluted bleach here...or at least that was the law last time I worked in a kitchen.
We get written up if we have bleach anywhere near our kitchen at work. Only FDA approved commercial sanitizers with no bleach blah blah blah...
ect ect...

hwillm1977

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
dipence71 said:
Beekissed said:
:lol: ....I wouldn't even let the FDA IN my kitchen! ;) :lol:

I know what is clean and what is not....I,too, have been poisoned by so-called "clean" kitchens and FDA/USDA inspected foods~but never at home.

I don't have obviously dirty areas in my kitchen and I wash all dishes in bleach water and wipe down all the porcelain sink/counter tops in this water as well. As for wood cutting boards...these get bleached also after and before using.

Nah.....the FDA don't know their butts from a hole in the ground, IMO. :rolleyes: :)
FYI - Bleach is not allowed as a cleanier/disinfectant in commercial kitchens. I work in one and man it would be so much easier if we could use bleach.
We use bleach in our commercial kitchen (a chinese restaurant), it has to be diluted to a certain strength, which I don't know since I only waitress there part time, and the health department gives us test strips to make sure the dilution is correct for food... but yep, we use it up here in Canada :)

delia_peterson

Covered in Compost
Reaction score
me&thegals said:
Talk about food safety: The ad at the top of my SS screen right now is called Mad Cow Cutlery?!?! What?? What a marketing snafu!!!
:gig Mine does too. How cool would it be to use that cutlery to serve up your next cut of beef when you have company over? Or your unfavorite relative....:D

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
I just caught back up to this thread and all I can keep picturing is little cats running around in hairnets!!! :lol:

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
dipence71 said:
Beekissed said:

I know what is clean and what is not....I,too, have been poisoned by so-called "clean" kitchens and FDA/USDA inspected foods~but never at home.

I don't have obviously dirty areas in my kitchen and I wash all dishes in bleach water and wipe down all the porcelain sink/counter tops in this water as well. As for wood cutting boards...these get bleached also after and before using.

Nah.....the FDA don't know their butts from a hole in the ground, IMO. :rolleyes: :)
FYI - Bleach is not allowed as a cleanier/disinfectant in commercial kitchens. I work in one and man it would be so much easier if we could use bleach.
In the medical profession, they used to use an all purpose germicide until they figured out that bleach was cheaper and did the same job. Now all blood spills are cleaned with a 10% bleach solution.

I know bleach is bad for you and bad for the septic system. This I know. But I don't use a whole lot and I don't think my mother could survive without bleach leaching into her bloodstream.....actually, I don't think she really has blood in her veins at all...I think she bleeds bleach! :p

Up-the-Creek

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
dipence71 said:
Beekissed said:

In the medical profession, they used to use an all purpose germicide until they figured out that bleach was cheaper and did the same job. Now all blood spills are cleaned with a 10% bleach solution.

I know bleach is bad for you and bad for the septic system. This I know. But I don't use a whole lot and I don't think my mother could survive without bleach leaching into her bloodstream.....actually, I don't think she really has blood in her veins at all...I think she bleeds bleach! :p
Bee it must be an old school thing,..or maybe stepford wives,..my Momma is the same way. Nothing wrong with it,..gotta love them for it. I use bleach all the time also, it hasn't killed me yet,..oh there was the one time I mixed it with another cleaner and about blew up a toilet,..:gig I was only about 17. That was a learning lesson! Cleaning a nasty public toilet at work :sick. Should have blew it up, it would have been easier to clean! :lol:

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
miss_thenorth said:
My mom had a plaque that was in dutch hanging in her kitchen. It translated to "My house is clean enough to be healthy, and dirty enough to be happy".

I think I took those words to heart, b/c that is my theory on house cleanliness.
I love that!

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I have one of those tin replica signs in my kitchen. This very one as a matter of fact...

41KMIa2dEjL._SL500_AA280_.jpg