Reaction score
"Would the FDA close down your kitchen?"

In a heartbeat! :lol:

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
abifae said:
Beekissed said:
Bucket, I suppose......I use the sink also. Easy to see how dirty the water is getting and easy to rinse the mop. :)
Sooo... the sanitary way is to fill a bucket in the sink, mop from the bucket, dump the dirty bucket water into the sink... ??

So you still use the sink AND have to lug water around.

Why not skip the middleman and use the dang sink?
I fill the mop bucket in the shower - it has a long hose. Dirty mop water gets flushed. I rinse the mop in the bathroom sink if it gets bad.
Older food gets the sight and smell test.
Pots of food that are too hot can sit out overnight.
Sometimes get a hair in food. Shoulder length= mine. Really long= his.
Mold on bread or cheese- cut around it, unless it's black mold, multicolor or taking over.

We wont mention the time the cat jumped up on the counter (being sneaky) and overshot the edge.
Landed in the dishwater- all kinds of stuff rattling, kitty screeching and trying to scramble out. No traction, so very challenging.
Then having to endure that we both saw and we were dying of laughter.
You know how much cats like being laughed at - or being soaked, or the shower she got next. Poor girl. Only time she ever did that. Too traumatized.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
ohiofarmgirl said:
yep DM - i found a loooooooong time ago having a total 'girl' meltdown does not work with him. so pretty much i walk in and say:

me: baby! (smiling) what are you doin with my darn scrubbie!?!?!? !(exaggerated mock horror covers real horror)

he: (smiling and truly shocked that i dont think this is his best idea) cleanin' my boots

me: with my DISH SCRUBBIE (trying to control shill tone)

he: well yeah it was here. see how good it works? (proudly shows me cleaned boots - hey it DID work pretty good)

me: mister you had better throw that away when you are done AND you have to take me to the dollar store to get more scrubbies!!

he: (silently calculating how to best implement strategic evasive maneuvers...) only if we get ice cream when we are in town

me: (clearly distracted by ice cream) YES! lets go

everyone is happy.
:)
Stop! You're killing me! You and BD. I'm going to wake the whole house up!

Did you by any chance read Men are from Mars and Women are from Venus. My young newlywed brother refers to it as Women are from Venus and Men are from Uranus. :D

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
me&thegals said:
Hoo boy! I am NOT eating at any of your houses!!!

Okay, mine is just as bad.

*Press out butter on wooden cutting board.

*Pick dropped food off the floor and toss it back into the pot.

*Bleach ONLY used during canning, never anywhere else.

*No antibacterial soap.

*Homemade dish detergent and dishwasher detergent.

*Veggies with honest-to-goodness dirt on them! I try to get it all, but sometimes the spinach is crunchy :D

*Occasionally a MASSIVE fruit fly infestation, as during this summer when there was never a break from peaches to pears to tomatoes to apples and there were literally 1000s of fruit flies in the kitchen. Sometimes they got up my nose when I disturbed them. Thankfully down to about 5 now.

*Unwashed eggs!!! AND raw eggs eaten on occasion.

*Fermenting products.

*I've been known to scrape mold off cheese and use the rest. Even sometimes from the top layer in an old jar of applesauce.

*I totally walk the line on food age. If it smells okay, we're eating it. Even if beans smell a tiny bit off, I rinse them and we eat them. Gross, but I hate throwing out food.

BUT, when it's other people stomachs I'm cooking for, I shape up bigtime. I know my family and our tolerance, and we are completely, perfectly healthy. But, I totally wouldn't do some of the above for company or for canning.
To combat those fruitflies - take a jar with a lid (recycled of course) and poke several holes in the lid with a nail (from outside in, so the scratchy bits are on the inside when the lid is on the jar). Put a few tablespoons of vinegar in the jar, and/or some of the juice and peels from the fruit you are dealing with. Close the jar with the perforated lid, and put it somewhere out of your way, but not to far away. The flies should be attracted to the vinegar, crawl in, and be unable to come back out because of the rough edges on the holes (also I seem to remember reading somewhere that flies tend to go down, and not so much up). This was what my mother did when making jam, and it seemed to help.

As to the state of my kitchen - I keep my kitchen clean, but it is a lived in room in my house, and that means we *live* there, and wash our cuts at the sink, and incubate our fermentations on the counters, and feed the cats on the floor. The FDA wouldn't like it, but I do. And none of my family or guests have complained of dire consequences yet.

As to wooden cutting boards, while the FDA might not approve, I have read that wood doesn't harbor bacteria in the same way as plastic. That said, I do have both - the plastic gets run through the dishwasher, the wood gets a hot, soapy bath. http://www.reluctantgourmet.com/cutting_board.htm

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Big Daddy said:
I had a friend that worked at a restaurant in the kitchen. It was just a little diner type place. He said they always had a pot of soup going and they used to scrape uneaten leftover veggies off of customer plates in to it to keep it topped off. He said it was a pretty common practice. He had worked at 3 restaurants. He had stinky feet too.
OMG!
no way...common practice to scrape uneaten leftovers off plates into soup. good gracious that is just disgusting. I don't do that at home!

Woof!

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
Did you by any chance read Men are from Mars and Women are from Venus. My young newlywed brother refers to it as Women are from Venus and Men are from Uranus. big_smile
m&tg - that is hilarious! and yep i read that book a while ago. i kinda liked it - someone had to tell our generation that men and women are different and thats ok. i gave up trying to understand the whole thing and now i just do what works.

:)

and like my grandma minnie used to say: if you dont have anything nice to say just shut your pie hole.

or maybe i said that. anyway its still good advice.

leftovers into soup? ick. just another reason why i wont eat soup! hee hee

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
My mom's kitchen is so clean you could actually eat off the floor, but trying to do so would send you to the woodshed. However, when I was growing up, although the kitchen was spotless, she had a habit of leaving leftover fried chicken on a plate in the dish cabinet. She didn't like cold chicken, only room temperature. Us kids had the "24 hour flu" every couple of months. She doesn't do it any more, but I am not sure she ever made the connection between two day old room temperature fried chicken and projectile vomiting.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
no way...common practice to scrape uneaten leftovers off plates into soup. good gracious that is just disgusting. I don't do that at home!
You put the leftovers in hot water and boil it. What could possibly make you sick??? Not sure I would want restaurant leftovers from OTHER PEOPLE, but at home, with family....sure!

Latest posts