Would the FDA close down your kitchen?

steve_of_sandspoultry

Turkey Steve
Reaction score
They would ours. I thought this would be a good topic to talk about food safety etc. The FDA recommened vs how we all do it.

Some of the things just off the top of my head that would shut down our kitchen

wooden cutting boards
I doubt our wash water temp is high enough
no sanitizer used - just regular old dish washing soap.
we hot water bath some canned goods
don't use preservatives

etc etc

We grow and raise a good bit of our own food and have never gotten sick in any way. On the other hand I can think of 2 times in the past couple years we have eaten out and felt "queesey" afterwards.

Just curious about you guys, do you follow all the "guidlines" or just go for it and how does it work out for you?

Steve in NC

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
the FDA can... well never you mind.

nope we'd be shut down in a hot second - dont forget we're crawling with cats too and my kitchen workers are the dogs. i'm sure that a violation.

throw in the all-feared RAW MILK from the goaties and they would stroke out for sure.

and us using a garden hose to rinse off our freshly dressed chickens? they would faint on the spot.

i got food poisoning twice over the summer from fast food places. now i cant even bring myself to go. after a while it doesnt even taste any darn good. blech.

the whole thing makes me want to make an egg custard - NOT cooked to 160* or whatever
;-)

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
:lol:

Raw milk and cheese (not aged 60 days, either....and I am always picking cat hair out of it!! :gig )

Food sitting out overnight or for days (fermenting.)

Scraping the cat tongue marks off the butter that someone left uncovered... :rolleyes:

Letting the dogs lick our dishes!

And the water from my faucet is 120F, I measured the temp for my cheesemaking.

No hairnets or gloves.

I'm sure there is more! The horror!

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
:lol:
Oh!!

Yep, closed down!

No mice or cockaroaches, the cats take care of those.

No hairnets & long hair. I could actually see one of my hairs in a jar of home canned peas, ick. I tie it back now, though :lol:

Windows open to pasture. Couple of rips in the screen that the duct tape has fallen off, so a few flies get in.

Homemade laundry soap as dish soap.

Like free said, food sitting out on the counter overnight or longer.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Let's see...
butter licking cats....check
food left out to ferment on purpose....check
food left out accidentally but still looked and smelled good so we ate it anyway...check
no hair nets....check
duck bowls cleaned in the same sink people bowls are washed in....check
quail in a cage in the pass through....check
big wooden cutting board...check
plain dish soap and no sanitizer...check
raw eggs used in smoothies...check

And we don't get food poisoning while my cleanliness nazi friends are always having tummy trouble. Hummmm...coincidence? LOL

deb4o

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We too would be CLOSED DOWN and for good!!

Free-we also have a doggy operated dishwasher, some people think this is icky, but hey I do use the dishwasher after and the water is very hot.So Iam sure it kills all the little germys.
I cooked in an institutional sitting for a few years, there is no way one can keep up to code and still have a home kitchen.

I don't want my kitchen smelling like disinfectant all the time, it just is not very appetizing :sick

Steve I have used wooden cutting boards, just bleach them.always after cutting meat,it's a must to have one for meat, one for veggies,ect..

I personally have never had food poisoning that I know of, but DH has,from a fast food place, I sure felt for him. But still there are times when we just have to have a big greasy burger, so we take the fate of our stomach in our own hands, and go for it lol

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
and dont forget the unpasteurized cider.

and everyone here who has done a veterinarian procedure in or near their kitchen? show of hands please. yep. thats what i thought.

;-)

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
:frow
Yep, from cut paws to mending a cat-attacked chicken, even did minor surgery to remove a bit of welding shrapnel from my best friend's arm.

Oh, and I clip DH's hair in the kitchen too. Only place with enough room & no carpet.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Well it is GREAT to finally fess up that I let the dogs do the pre wash around here. I call them the garbage disposal. :p

Thankfully I'm not the only one.

I also just used the kitchen floor to shave the St. Bernard's buns (that fur back there can get pretty nasty in the wet months. :sick ).

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
You guys are too funny!!!! :gig I had to re-read everything b/c what's one laugh when you can have two! :lol:

Remember that old children's song? Dont know the title (Skip to my Lou?), but it has a verse that goes, "There's a fly in the buttermilk, shoo fly shoo..." and the other line, "There's a hair in the butter, six feet long..." Cute song to sing with kids, but it also sums up our kitchens prettty good. :p

Latest posts