Would the FDA close down your kitchen?

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
steve_of_sandspoultry said:
And we don't get food poisoning while my cleanliness nazi friends are always having tummy trouble. Hummmm...coincidence? LOL
Your friends must be know some of ours! Ours are the same way you could look for days and never find any dirt and they are always sick!!!!!

Steve
Same here! We are VERY VERY rarely sick! Yet my clean freak friends are sick all time! I figure my kids have built up a STRONG immunity with all the germs we got crawling around in our house! Please we do not use a lot of chemical cleaners that shut their immune system down.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Pam what is it about sticking your head in the dishwater? Kids!!!!!! :he That happened here too!! :lol:

Steve, clean freaks are always sick!

Don't forget all that rotten garbage we all have fermenting on the counter tops and tucked away in the back of the fridge, thanks to FREEMOTION! :p

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Don't they realize that all those germs & nasties floating around BOOST your immune system? :lol:

But seriously, I remember reading a study that showed kids on farms had fewer allergies (food & environmental) than city kids. It was mostly chalked up to the fact that farm kids are exposed to the allergens & germs on a regular basis, while the city kids (who no doubt had mothers addicted to bleach) had nothing to build up their immunities when they were young.

Edited to add a link!
http://www.redorbit.com/news/science/1895/farm_kids_less_likely_to_have_allergies/index.html

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
:lol: ....I wouldn't even let the FDA IN my kitchen! ;) :lol:

I know what is clean and what is not....I,too, have been poisoned by so-called "clean" kitchens and FDA/USDA inspected foods~but never at home.

I don't have obviously dirty areas in my kitchen and I wash all dishes in bleach water and wipe down all the porcelain sink/counter tops in this water as well. As for wood cutting boards...these get bleached also after and before using.

Nah.....the FDA don't know their butts from a hole in the ground, IMO. :rolleyes: :)

steve_of_sandspoultry

Turkey Steve
Reaction score
It's funny or maybe sad would be a better word how things have changed from our grandparents to parents to us regarding food in general. Just look at the whole foods compared to the processed garbage.

Steve

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
Hmmm . . . let's see,

always wiping up dog hair, uh, I mean eyelashes from the countertops,

yep, dogs licking plates before they go in dishwasher,

I don't want to talk about what's in back of the fridge, or on top for that matter,

DS washing four wheeler air filter in sink, (boys)

first aid on countertop for dogs and people,

no flies, spiderwebs snag them,

no crumbs on floor, dogs get them,

There's more, I'm sure . . .

ducks4you

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
FDA??? whoarethey?! Or, better yet, I'd like them to say of me, "whoarethey?" ...better to get 'em off our backs!! :rant
I use my kitchen sink to wash dishes daily and that keeps ME well, even though they could close down my kitchen for all of the previously mentioned reasons.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Absolutely and cheerfully agree with all of the above posts.

At the same time, I think there is a HUGE difference between what is reasonable to do at home and what you want a restaurant or other commercial food preparer to do.

In our own kitchens, we know that we will have to suffer the consequences of anything egregiously stupid, as opposed to some minimum-wage restaurant worker who really could care less about any of it. We deal with a limited amount of food and in one temporary batch at a time, as opposed to having 500 lbs of raw storeboughten chicken (probably indifferently packaged and indifferently thawed) rubbed continually over our countertops for hours and hours on end. We are used to our own kitchen's particular germ populations and our bodies have practice dealing with them, unlike the patrons of a restaurant or cafeteria. And if there should be a little slip-up and we get a woobly tummy for a day or two, it is only US, not hundreds or thousands of people who all ate there too.

So, I will absolutely defend normal homestyle kitchen practices... but I really really do not think we want to see them happening in restaurants etc.

(Mind you, some of the best meals I have purchased have come out of really scary nasty kitchens, but there you have to either really trust the people who are running the place to exercise the same kind of bottom-line sense you would yourself, or you have to consider the food good enough that you just don't CARE if you spend the next couple days in the loo :p)

As far as FDA recommendations about what people should do at home, enh, it's driven by cover-your-butt legal considerations, but considering how stupidly litigious our society is, and how stupidly reliant on What They Told Me To Do people often are, I do not think it is unreasonable for official reccomendations to run in that direction. We are all of us still free to think for ourselves about how much to *follow* them ;)

Pat