Would you hitch hike to conserve your car?

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
My mother would never let me, not at this age, but maybe I would if I had a weapon on me.

My mom ran away at 16 and hitch hiked all the way to Cali, sounded like quite the adventure.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
No way, Jose. Too risky and completely out of control when you're riding in someone else's speeding car.

I would upgrade my hybrid bike to a road bike and maybe even stick a motor on the bike. No hitchhiking. Carpooling, though, might even work for country folks.

xpc

Doubled and twisted
Reaction score
Blackbird said:
My mother would never let me, not at this age, but maybe I would if I had a weapon on me.

My mom ran away at 16 and hitch hiked all the way to Cali, sounded like quite the adventure.
Blackbird, those days are gone - weapon or no weapon it is by far too risky, when I attempted to go from California to Wisconsin and was a male in my prime at almost 200 pounds with a knife I almost lost my life. I have picked up a few in my time but not no more, I was even armed but you will never know when out of the blue they will take you down - when they do it the weapon is of no use because they will stab you like a bolt of lightning.

I can not go into to details because of the nature of the situation but can tell you this that after 30 years I still have a scare that runs the entire length of my rib cage that cut to the bone. I had to jump from a truck at 30mph to save my life, waited for a curve so he would slow down otherwise it would of been certain death.

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
So you are no longer male?

I should have stated; based on the question, I would use the vehicle and hitch hike when the vehicle stopped working. It would also depend on how bad I needed to get to the place.

Any one can die at any given time, that is one thing I know, wether hitch hiking or driving oneself.

On a side note, T was saying that if someone finds an old man carrying a bucket to pick him up and give him a ride because he's a lot of fun.

Where are you T?

The days are still here.

xpc

Doubled and twisted
Reaction score
Blackbird said:
So you are no longer male?

I should have stated; based on the question, I would use the vehicle and hitch hike when the vehicle stopped working. It would also depend on how bad I needed to get to the place.

Any one can die at any given time, that is one thing I know, wether hitch hiking or driving oneself.

On a side note, T was saying that if someone finds an old man carrying a bucket to pick him up and give him a ride because he's a lot of fun.

Where are you T?

The days are still here.
Alright mister (misses) smarty pants I worded that wrong (fixed), yes we can all die for no apparent reason but there is a thing called hedging your bet - there is no need to tempt fate, It is much safer to thumb a ride with a friend then hitching with a salivating stranger who deep fat fries you fingers.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0091209/

The old man let the fish go where as the old man that picks you up will keep you in the bucket.

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
I forgot that I did pick up a hitchiker last year. It was at the bottom of the road up to my place. The man was shutting the hood of a car and heading up the road - and we're talking a road that goes almost straight up with no shoulders for miles. It scares truck drivers around here.
I thought how I would hate to walk up that road and implusively stopped and asked if he wanted a ride (so I guess he wasn't really a hitchiker.) He did and we had a lovely conversation allllll they way up to his place- about how he had just got out of jail and couldn't afford a new car yet. And how he was in drug rehab, etc etc etc. I was very quiet. :fl
He thanked me for the lift as I left him about 4 miles up the road.

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
I would have great difficulty riding my bicycle with the snow we get here in the Lake Erie snow belt. I also have 3 significant hills surrounding me where my 4x4 truck has trouble.
Most on our road don't go anywhere on weekends because they don't plow; plowing is tied into school bus schedules.
Then again, to hitch in winter would involve walking 2 miles to a plowed road on weekends. I do have cross country skis.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Around here? Yes. But my job is IN a car all day, so this wouldn't be feasible to my circumstances.

Picking up hitchers? I pick up all women and youngsters if they are in the middle of nowhere, or walking away from an out of commission car, and old men who are walking with a gas can or a heavy bag of groceries.

I don't pick up obvious "travelers" to avoid the possible resulting complications. I'm not scared of dying nor of getting hurt, or even to losing my fingers to Hannibal Lecter....I am, however, allergic to being thought of as foolhardy! :lol:

Now that I have a pickup, I don't mind giving these folks a lift in the back. I have picked up guys walking if my big sons were in the car with me. Especially if it's raining or snowing.

I pretty much let God direct my heart on picking up walkers and He has never steared me wrong yet. :)