Would you hitch hike to conserve your car?

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
yea BBH
I have that trouble when riding.
Cars come so close to the horse it is unreal.
Honestly you would think they WOULD know not to come close to a horse.
Are they truly that dumb?
Or on a cell phone not looking?

UGH

when I lived in the city type growing up I loved sidewalks...LOL...I miss them truly being in the country. We had WIDE bike lanes etc. Something a city offers that I want..LOL

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
when I lived in the city type growing up I loved sidewalks...LOL...I miss them truly being in the country. We had WIDE bike lanes etc. Something a city offers that I want..LOL
We have large lanes here on the side of many roads for Amish buggies. DH has ridden his bicycle in the lanes on occasion.

Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
Big Daddy said:
SKR8PN said:
No.
Never have-never will. Offer a ride OR hitchhike myself.
I figure it was their own fault that they are on foot, so they can figure their own way out. I don't wanna hear anything about car troubles not being their own fault. 99.999% of automobile related trouble is from a lack of proper maintenance. I figure it was their choice to not maintain that vehicle properly, and also to not have second plan in case of a real breakdown, so it is their problem to figure a way out.
That's why God gave each one of us TWO feet. :plbb
Your compassion is overwhelming. God bless you.
Hey at least he might not have killed someone!!

You say this to him and let this slide?
Several years ago E was driving home and his dad was with him. They were in an old Ford Bronco. It was pitch black out and raining. Apparantly some guy was hitch hiking and had his thumb out along the edge of the road. The idiot was dressed in ALL BLACK! So of course, E couldn't see him! The Bronco's passenger side mirror collided with said Hitcher's thumb....at 55 MPH. That was when E realized there was a guy out there thumbing for a ride! FIL said, "Are ya going to stop?" E said, "Nope!"

Hmm.......
Yeah, I know. I was amazed at that one.

Reaction score
big brown horse said:
On our country roads (there is a nice shoulder too) they drive so fast my hair and my horse's mane are blown straight up. AND they don't even bother to scoot over just a bit in case my horse gets spooked by their high rate of speed. The speed is 40 mph but I swear they are going 60 at least. What is everyone's hurry???!!
That's what you call a bomb proof horse. I give horses a big berth. I don't want to be responsible for someone getting thrown off a horse and doing a Superman in a wheel chair thing. It's rare to find a horse that will stay calm for that.

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Blackbird said:
On a side note, T was saying that if someone finds an old man carrying a bucket to pick him up and give him a ride because he's a lot of fun.

Where are you T?

The days are still here.
I'm here now! I don't have net at home, so at work is all you've got me, Merle!

I've hitched rides around town, especially in my younger days. Would I now? Not unless I had to. Heard too many horror stories.

I've picked up hikers, but only when the gut, mind & heart all said OK. If I had my kids with me, then no way, no matter what gut, heart & head said. The guy I'm refering to below was one of those gut calls.
It was Christmas morning several years ago. DH & I ran to the grocery store for cranberry sauce (what else? :lol: ) and a few other things that got ruined when a cat knocked shelves over. As we approach the next town (closest grocery) we both spot a hudled figure on the opposite side of the highway. Its raining cats & dogs, a cold, miserable day. Had been raining all day. I looked at him, he looked at me and we both said "We have to." So we get turned around and see the guy perk up as we pull along side. Old guy, in his late 60s or early 70s, still hale, but with the marks of a long joyous life stamped on his face. He's got a heavy duty backpack and a 5 gallon bucket. He hops in, thanking us & God profusely. Telling us that we are the answer to his prayer. Apparently he said Amen about the time we spotted him. Says his name is J Streeter, he's a window man and he works for Jesus. He collects prayer requests in his bucket & passes out booklets on facing fears, finding your usefullness & how God loves you. Every time he gets to a hotel or truckstop where he can get wireless, he sends an email to everyone on his list with all the prayer requests. He was given a laptop after asking God for a purpose to his life. Now he wanders the states, stopping here & there to wash windows for extra cash and spreading the gospel, love & prayer.
We spot him from a mile away and always give him a ride. No matter where we're going or how late doing it will make us.

On the flip side, I've had a young woman get in the car with me and try to pull a knife. I had my pistol under my leg and was aiming at her while she was still talking about the violent meeting of my body & her knife. I put her out without her stuff (it was in my trunk, the idiot) on the side of the interstate and called highway patrol at the next stop. That was the first, last & only time I've ever given anyone a ride that I didn't 1. Know very well or 2. All systems above checked out.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
noobie
the old guy. sounds definitely lost and homeless and could easily suffer terrible like he has.
he could easily do his good deads under a more appropriate humanitarian situation.

shouldn't you have taken him to a shelter or where someone could help him. to me this type of man needs true help, not just a ride?

just wondering.

seems like the ride is the smallest part of the help this person deserves. a warm place, constant meals, medical attention, etc. and some companionship from fellow elderly people would be his greatest gift. then he could also spread his gifts to others easily without misery in his life involved.

would stepping in and taking the help further be good or just dropping him off to an unknown life and possible daily misery be better?

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
He didn't want a shelter. He just wanted a ride to his next job and to tell us all about God, from his understanding. He was quite happy, and has been every time I've seen him since that first day. He'd been on the road for 8 years and found more satisfaction there than the bank job he left to become a traveling man. Felt sorry for older folks who weren't able to experience the joys of sheltering in God's hand. He was completely reliant on God, his every meal, his every job, every night in a hotel he could afford, nights under the stars when he couldn't. Very cognizent & intelligent, not lost at all.

He was and is exactly where he wanted to be. To each his own :)

BeccaOH

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
noobiechickenlady said:
He didn't want a shelter. He just wanted a ride to his next job and to tell us all about God, from his understanding. He was quite happy, and has been every time I've seen him since that first day. He'd been on the road for 8 years and found more satisfaction there than the bank job he left to become a traveling man. Felt sorry for older folks who weren't able to experience the joys of sheltering in God's hand. He was completely reliant on God, his every meal, his every job, every night in a hotel he could afford, nights under the stars when he couldn't. Very cognizent & intelligent, not lost at all.

He was and is exactly where he wanted to be. To each his own :)
This bucket man sounds very interesting and fun to meet.

Does he travel the whole US?

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
He mainly stays in the southern states due to weather conditions. Had traveled to Wyoming and was floored by the cold. Arkansas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Texas, Tennessee, etc.

DH and he had a fun time comparing notes about cities. Mr. Streeter is one of the most fun people I've met. Always has a scripture for the moment but manages to make it friendly and happy, not preachy at all.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Wow it sounds like he knows what he wants
not like he is delusional about his actions in a way
cool for him

sometimes so many are not sure where they should be and help should step in.

very interesting you meet a person like this.