Would you hitch hike to conserve your car?

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
No.
Never have-never will. Offer a ride OR hitchhike myself.
I figure it was their own fault that they are on foot, so they can figure their own way out. I don't wanna hear anything about car troubles not being their own fault. 99.999% of automobile related trouble is from a lack of proper maintenance. I figure it was their choice to not maintain that vehicle properly, and also to not have second plan in case of a real breakdown, so it is their problem to figure a way out.
That's why God gave each one of us TWO feet. :plbb

Reaction score
SKR8PN said:
No.
I figure it was their own fault that they are on foot, so they can figure their own way out. I don't wanna hear anything about car troubles not being their own fault. 99.999% of automobile related trouble is from a lack of proper maintenance. I figure it was their choice to not maintain that vehicle properly, and also to not have second plan in case of a real breakdown, so it is their problem to figure a way out.
Your compassion is overwhelming. God bless you.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
xpc said:
Hitch hiked only a few times back in the late 70's and would never do it again - San Diego to Milwaukee almost got me killed in 78', details are not family friendly. I will be building a street legal electric 3 wheel bicycle when moved into new cabin to save on car registration and insurance.
that is cool. a street legal electric and you build it!
car registration and ins. is horrible

but if street legal, don't you need insurance? to put it on the road.
just wondering?? or do you mean save good money on that insurance?

Reaction score
MorelCabin said:
Another time I got stuck in a horrible rainstorm at a campground. DH was at work and the tent got totally rained out. Here I was with a 2 year old and a four year old, hitching in the middle of no where to get back to town...I got a ride with a really nice elderly couple.
Geez Morel. That's scary. Glad that some old couple picked you up. I would have picked you up because of the kid and the weather. Guess I watch too many scary movies. They show you how fast a situation like a hitchhiker can go south on you. I feel bad leaving people standing there, but I just can't take the chance. That's one bad situation you can avoid.

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
keljonma said:
On some of the rural roads we have lived on, you'd have to be pretty far from home to get a ride. It seems the only place I see hitchhikers anymore near our place is on I-90.

I think I would take up bicycling everywhere again.
sylvie said:
I would have great difficulty riding my bicycle with the snow we get here in the Lake Erie snow belt. I also have 3 significant hills surrounding me where my 4x4 truck has trouble.
Most on our road don't go anywhere on weekends because they don't plow; plowing is tied into school bus schedules.
Then again, to hitch in winter would involve walking 2 miles to a plowed road on weekends. I do have cross country skis.
Good point about snow, sylvie! I haven't had cross-country skis since I moved to Texas.... I guess I would have to hibernate all winter long....drool over garden catalogues, and dream of spring! :gig

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
SKR8PN said:
No.
I'll remember your philosophy when you arrive at my hospital..... :D

Your own fault for not attending to your health, so you can figure out how to fix your own heart attack, kidney stone, prostate enlargement,cancer! As we know, 99.999% of health related trouble is life style related and lack of proper health maintenance. I will figure it was your choice to not maintain your health and not to have a second plan in case of a real breakdown in your health, so it will be your problem to figure out how to restart your heart, alleviate your pain and remove that stone from your ureter, or cut out your own cancers.

That's why God gave you a brain, after all! ;)

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
This reminds me of the time my SIL was coming to visit when my nephew was a baby (before she had a cell phone). Her car broke down on the interstate and she and babe started walking, in intense heat. Thank goodness for the people who stopped to give her and her baby a ride, safely, to get help.

There would be a very few instances where I would give someone a ride. I guess maybe there would be a very few in which I might also need to ask for one. I'd really hope to not be in either position, though.

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
Blackbird said:
My mother would never let me, not at this age, but maybe I would if I had a weapon on me.

My mom ran away at 16 and hitch hiked all the way to Cali, sounded like quite the adventure.
Hitching used to be safer. still no guarantees even then tough. I have done it when a tire blew out but I was still nervous. I've only picked up two hikers- ever and not if I'm alone in the car.

One big warning- You don't have to be hiking to be in danger in a car with somebody else. I' m scared to ride with a guy that I don't know well because once you're alone is a bad time to find out if they are bad. Almost got raped by someone that had been fine when we were in public. There were No Clues until we were alone. I got bruised up and was lucky to get away. The more dangerous ones know how to behave till your guard is down.

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
Big Daddy said:
SKR8PN said:
No.
Your compassion is overwhelming. God bless you.
Perhaps.......but at least I am still here to type this....having NOT been killed by someone because I dropped my guard. :frow

As far as my compassion? You have no idea..........

rebecca100

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have accepted rides from people that live around me that I kinda know, but I am lucky that we are in a very small community and everyone literally knows everyone else. We went through a peroid that we didn't have the money for toilet paper to wipe with and my old truck was giving trouble and i had to drive several miles on dirt road to get the kids to the bus. Truck broke down at the stop and I took several rides that day to and from the truck with tools with a newborn. ( live out where we did and as poor as we were you learn to fix just about everything! People are often suprised to see a young girl with a baby and a tool box under a truck) Fortunately they were all neighbors. I don't think I would take a ride from a complete stranger-unless it was a family or an older couple or something. I have been known to saddle up the horses and go take and get the kids from the bus. Or hitch up the wagon. Where we are now I could probably walk wherever I need to go since we are no longer out in the middle of nowhere. Still in the small community though. I know that if anything ever happened to us around here everyone would know it and who did it at what time and why-probably with pics!