Reaction score
Potato floddies
  • 2 large potatoes, scrubbed with skins on
  • a little flour
  • salt & pepper
  • pinch of mixed herbs
  • butter, margarine or dripping for frying
Method
1. Grate your scrubbed potatoes into a large bowl (coarse)

2. Add in salt and pepper and herbs

3. Sprinkle in flour and stir, keep adding until a batter begins to form and starts to bind together the grated potato

4. Non-stick pans work best, place fat into pan and heat on medium/hot

5. Drop in a large spoonful of the floddie mix and press down to flatten out

6. Fry until browned on one side (a few minutes or so) and turn. Fry the other side

7. Remove from heat. Eat!!!

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I don't know about USA egg rationing, but in Britain, all eggs, milk, etc went to the military. If you had milk that soured before it was collected, you could make cottage cheese from it, otherwise, the military needed it. But it was rare that they let you keep the critter. The grain that fed the one critter would feed a lot of people. They wanted country folk to use their fields to grow people food, not critter food.

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Uh, almost vegetarian here. No sane eco friendly person is trying to take away your cows. The 'beef' is with the big industries who ignore sustainable land practices.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
No, not taking for meat (necessarily) -- just "taking" them. :love I bought my farm(s) for my animals. If I only wanted a garden, I'd have only an acre or two. Even with the work and expense, just love to have them.

I do eat meat but, find I eat a LOT less of it now. Food choices.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Hard to eat locally in a lot of places now. Since at some point in the last century they decided to mostly centralize food growing to the desert of California.

We have enough farming here that you can eat local for most things. Also means people are limited to what can grow local.

There has always been a good size Seventh Day Adventists community in this state so there are plenty of vegetarian options. The are why lentils are a big crop here. The settlers needed them for protein.